1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Of the 27 Division I schools that have cut one or more sports, 13 have included men's tennis on their execution list.
    I don't always cut sports, but when I do, I prefer to whack men's tennis.

sgreenwell likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

As the story points out, men's tennis is an easy target since many players are from out of state or out of the country and scholarship costs are higher.

sgreenwell likes this.
  3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Did anyone mention how sports TV ratings have cratered?

(Anecdotally, my local hobby shop has seen a tremendous increase in business.)

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

NCAA will allow winter-sport athletes to receive an extra season of eligibility

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/10/14/ncaa-winter-sports-extra-eligibility/

"Eligibility relief is viewed as a fair resolution for athletes whose seasons have been affected by the pandemic, but it’s complex and presents logistical challenges. Schools self-apply this waiver for eligibility relief, meaning they get to choose whether athletes are allowed the extra season. Some athletic departments will not be able to afford the cost of doing so, particularly given the revenue deficits caused by the pandemic.

For fall sports, seniors who return for an extra season during the 2021-22 academic year will not count toward the team’s scholarship limit. However, in the years that follow, schools cannot exceed the limit, even though athletes on the team still would be allowed extra eligibility. In those cases, if schools choose to let athletes use their extra season of eligibility, it would effectively take away that scholarship from incoming recruits. The Division I Council’s announcement did not specify whether those same rules would be applied for winter sports."

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Other than hockey, I just don't give a shit anymore. It might have been Chris Long or MTM recently who articulated my thoughts (???).

It's just not of interest to me anymore.

ChrisLong likes this.
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Wow. Founding member of the SCIAC. Been playing since the late 1800s.

maumann likes this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Washington Post had a good story on this subject the other day. Watching sports is a social activity for many, and when you take away the ability to head to the sports bar on a Saturday or Sunday to watch, sports really suffer. I'm watching, but I'm only hardcore into soccer and hockey. I dip in and out of the baseball playoffs, and while the NBA Finals were fun, they were in October going against football. Thought it was interesting that the WNBA playoffs were up 15 percent in viewership.

maumann and Liut like this.
  8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

College basketball teams are scheduled to play almost a complete season. So are college football teams. Why the hell should anyone from those sports get a free year of eligibility, unless the opt out?

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Jack Kemp played there.

maumann and MileHigh like this.
  10. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

I still very much enjoy sports.

I am not trying to be argumentative.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I stopped playing hockey 10 years ago and haven't watched a game since.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted