1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

That is a hoot!

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I suspect the endgame is he remains asymptomatic, starts campaigning again by Monday and lets us all know he’s living proof the virus threat is greatly overblown now get back to work and open all the schools, dammit.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I covered my first high school soccer game of the season this afternoon.

They played 20-minute quarters instead of 40-minute halves. The first time the ball went out of bounds, a kid picked it up for a throw-in and the ref told him that he had to kick it in. They replaced the ball and wiped it down before making it available to go back into play.

One of the coaches said the lack of heading was the biggest change.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

For those on the edge of their seats waiting for details of NAIA spring football ...

The Frontier Conference announced its seven-week, seven-game schedule.

Frontier Conference announces spring football schedule; season opens Feb. 27

All eight schools play each other once. Games begin on Saturday, Feb. 27 ... great weather for traveling and catching some football in Havre or Helena, Mont.!

NAIA football playoffs begin April 17.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Havre doesn't warm up until June. If then.

I Should Coco and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Welp, I never thought it was going to happen, going back to April, but high school football returned to Colorado tonight.

First of three games this weekend tonight. Blowout, but it was great to be back on the field. Lots of protocols, of course. Stands were taped off for social distancing Friday's game limited to 175 on each side.

upload_2020-10-8_22-40-36.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  7. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

This is great news.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Occidental, Obama's first college, drops football

College football program announces it has shut down amid 21-game losing streak

Occidental drops football program

“Only after very careful consideration and a thorough review of past planning efforts, as well as with the deepest regard for the context and history of football at Occidental, do we make this decision,” college president Harry Elam said in a school news release on Tuesday night. “As difficult as this decision is, we believe it is the right one for Occidental.”

Elam further explained the shut down is part of the negative impact COVID-19 has had in 2020.

“We make this decision in the context of the major financial downturn the college has experienced due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and also as the result of many years’ ongoing study of the football program.”

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Thanks Obama??

HanSenSE and tapintoamerica like this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

sporps!

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted