1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running thread of people with COVID-19... get well Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Mar 19, 2020.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

We're nine months into this pandemic and more famous people have been diagnosed this past week than in the previous 4-5 months combined. Asinine.

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

More testing or getting lazy with distancing?

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I feel like everybody is about to get it in the next month once we’re all indoors.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Dustin Johnson

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Also in PGA Tour thread

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

No chance they were at the same event?

9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Not very famous, but related.

My sister, who has a degree from the South Carolina School of Medicine and has been a practicing physician for over 25 years, got the confirmation yesterday. Fairly mild case, just some fever, but she's in the basement bedroom for the next two weeks while her husband takes care of their seven kids (three from her first, three from his first, and the runt).

You would think an M.D. would take things like this seriously, especially since several of her office staff and nurses have popped up positive since this began. But no, she was a bridesmaid in a wedding over the weekend, without masks. So in addition to having have all of the family swabbed, they'll have to contract trace everybody who attended. And church. And her clinic.

Apparently people in Mount Vernon, Mo., take that Show Me State stuff to the extreme. She finally can update charts and do some online doctoring in the meantime.

There's a huge disconnect in our family between myself and my next oldest brother, who have been taking every precaution possible, and the two youngest ones, who are in their 50s but haven't adulted as of yet. Duane and I are stunned (not stunned). At least it's a huge red flag to my 85-year-old parents to stay the hell home.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Damn, I do hope your sister heals fully and quickly.

I do note, though, that they've quite the Brady Bunch plus one thing going. Her three, his three, PLUS a baby?? Please tell me Alice is not infected!

I know, shouldn't joke in times like these, but sometimes I need to laugh to keep from crying. Even if it isn't really that funny.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

No, it really is! We tease on Zoom every Sunday night, and look up and down and sideways like in the opening credits.

Actually, her second husband's name is Brad, so Brad's Bunch is the unofficial title of the clan. (I refer to her as the Old Woman in the Shoe, even though I'm 11 years older.) When we've visited, it's rare all seven are there at once because of the custody rights between them and the exes. Plus, now three are away at college.

I have no idea how she figures out how many means to make.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Sending all the Cali vibes I can that your sister recovers and everything stays mild in the meantime.

I know that feel of family not quite understanding what is at risk. My mother in law took her 96-year-old dementia father out for a birthday lunch inside a restaurant the other day. The biggest reason why my wife hasn't gone ape shit on her mom yet is because the town they live in is fairly isolated with few cases, but most people there aren't taking it seriously and routinely travel to places with higher case loads. Mrs. Spartan-Highlander and I are holding our breath that nothing happens. Not just for her grandpa but for everyone at the nursing home he lives with.

Again, best wishes.

maumann and OscarMadison like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted