1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter - Butte, Montana

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jwelsch, Oct 9, 2020.

1. jwelsch

jwelsch New Member

The Montana Standard, an 8,000 circulation daily in Butte – the nation’s largest single historic district — is seeking a sports reporter to join a staff dedicated to covering a region with a rich sports heritage. Our new hire also will collaborate with a team of 16 staffers statewide who are building an innovative and robust new sports website (406mtsports.com).

We’re looking for someone who can unearth nuggets of compelling content for both a loyal print readership and an increasingly savvy digital audience — in a hearty mining city with a strong sports culture and a colorful personality. Two city high schools and the NAIA’s Montana Tech anchor our coverage, but our reach includes University of Montana Western in Dillon plus numerous small towns where sports are king. In addition, Butte and Silver Bow County is rich with year-round outdoor recreational opportunities, including fly-fishing, hiking, mountain biking and all kinds of winter outdoor sports.

Duties include feature/game coverage, plus typically two page-trafficking shifts each week. We emphasize content that will be well read not only in the Butte area but all of Montana. Periodic coverage of events of statewide importance for 406mtsports.com papers in Billings, Missoula, Helena and Hamilton also comes with the job.

Social and digital media skills are essential, and the ability to take photos/video is a big plus.

Once one of the most raucous mining towns in America, Butte is reinventing itself into one of the region’s most livable communities. It is a hard-working city that also serves as a tourist destination for people who appreciate history, the beauty of the surrounding mountains, and the wealth of outdoor activities.

The Standard is an equal opportunity employer with an excellent benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, paid holidays and vacation. Salary depends on experience. Visit our websites at www.mtstandard.com and www.406mtsports.com to see our work.

PS: The sports editor in Butte is Luke Shelton, but feel free to DM me with questions. -- Jeff Welsch, 406mtsports.com executive editor.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I can't speak about the Montana Standard print edition, but considering the cutbacks they've had at the Lee Montana papers, they do a pretty good job covering the Frontier Conference (NAIA) via 406mtsports, IMHO.

Between coverage of large-classification high schools and Frontier Conference sports teams spanning several of the towns where they have papers (Missoula, Helena, Butte), I'd say there's good teamwork between the Lee sports departments.

3. Alec Hamilton

Alec Hamilton New Member

Is there a link we should apply at or who should we send materials to?

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

PS: The sports editor in Butte is Luke Shelton, but feel free to DM me with questions. -- Jeff Welsch, 406mtsports.com executive editor.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Contact Staff

RonClements likes this.
  6. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Hell, I'm tempted to apply. This sounds like a fun job. Plus, I love Butte and not just because I'm related to half the town:D

HanSenSE and Moderator1 like this.
  7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The reason the job is open is because a sports reporter who had worked in Helena for the past two years declined a transfer to Butte and resigned instead. And the editor in Butte is now overseeing all the Lee Montana newspapers’ newsrooms because so many senior newsroom managers have resigned in the past year, including Missoulian editor Gwen Florio on Sunday after a complete train wreck of a political endorsement that the Missoulian ended up retracting tonight.

I’d stay far away from the Lee Montana papers until they get their mess sorted out.

8. jwelsch

jwelsch New Member

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If Gingerbread DOES apply, your decision is made.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

At the threat of an epic threadjack (and possibly costing gingerbread a new gig), I read the new endorsement and a couple of other stories on the Missoulian website, and the whole situation is crazy even by Lee standards.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Don't discuss the situation openly with another media outlet now ... that's a fireable offense in LeeWorld.

Draft saved Draft deleted