1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020-2021 NFL Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 5, 2020.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

They looked competitive against the Dallas defense, anyway.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

maumann, heyabbott and TigerVols like this.
  4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

From the Glendale (Ca.) News-Press: Glendale's Casey Stengel dies

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I keep wondering about Lawrence. He has all the attributes teams love in drafting a QB — size, arm, etc. — but will it translate in the NFL?He's surrounded by great college players now, but will he be around as much relative talent on whatever team picks him? Making quick, correct decisions is more important than anything, and some guys who were good or better at that in college can't adjust to the speed and power of the pro game. Obviously he'll be the No. 1 pick. I'm just wondering if he'll be a franchise guy for his whole career, or if he'll move around and carve out 10-12 years bouncing around from team to team.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Lol - tank for Tua was the biggest thing going, and he can't sniff playing time against a career journeyman starting for a 1-3 team.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Many times I have seen some team damned with faint praise. But never more effectively than that.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

These are the same questions every college QB who's a first round pick, let alone the first overall, faces and have always faced. People wondered if Peyton Manning could make it. He could. People wondered if JaMarcus Russell could make it. He sure could not. But if you need a quarterback, you gotta draft one if you get the chance.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think the "floor" for him is pretty low, though, and his peak is obviously great. Like, guys with his profile - gaudy college stats over multiple years AND well-loved by the scouts - are usually at least average regulars in the NFL. Who's the last "consensus #1 pick QB" that didn't do well? Baker Mayfield I suppose was a surprise as the #1 pick, and coming into this year his stock was low, but its taken a nice rebound so far. Goff and Winston, I don't think they've ever been All-Pro level, but they've been average at various points. You have to go back to Jamarcus Russell in 2007 to find the last #1 pick on a QB that was a disaster, and while I'm not sure if he could have done well on any pro team, it sure wasn't going to be the Raiders at that point. Before him, it was Couch in 1999 and David Carr in 2002, and they both got the shit kicked out of them as QBs for expansion teams.

10. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I always forget Jared Goff was a No.1. pick. I barely remember where he went to college.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Has anyone yet figured out what rhymes with Trevor or Lawrence?

And Denver may have won, but I laugh at notion that Drew Lock "led" the Broncos to the win...his stats were horrible.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Win Never for Trevor?

Draft saved Draft deleted