1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Lyon Tyler Jr.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Oct 8, 2020.

1. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I've always been fascinated by this story. The grandson of President John Tyler -- the 10th president, who served from 1841-45 -- died the other day.

Grandson of the TENTH US president John Tyler dies aged 95 | Daily Mail Online

And I didn't know until recently that Lyon's great-grandfather was Thomas Jefferson's college roommate. Lyon's brother is still alive, so at least there still is one grandson kicking around.

Dyno likes this.
  2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

My favorite new piece of this:

John Tyler had one grandson shot as he planted the Confederate flag on Cemetery Ridge at the peak of Pickett’s charge at the battle of Gettysburg.

He has one (recently 2) living grandsons.

These guys’ first cousin was shot in Pickett’s charge.

I can’t get over it.

Baron Scicluna, Driftwood and maumann like this.
  3. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

The grandson who survives, Harrison, still lives at Tyler's home between Richmond and Williamsburg, which is open to the public. As recently as a few years ago, he led tours for larger groups that visited the home.

Mo Rocca interviewed him for Sunday Morning several years ago. It was very nice.

Webster, garrow and maumann like this.
  4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Our family isn't that elongated, but my grandfather was born in Canada in 1889. He lived to be 86. He was 46 when my mother was born (and she'll be 86 next June) and 80 when my sister was born. My sister's youngest kid just started first grade, so fourth-generation Peyton could be 86 right around 2100.

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Shit. There goes of my Presidential Fun Facts I use in class.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. Monday Morning Sportswriter

This was Mo Rocca’s chat with them. The conversation about Steven Tyler is funny.

7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

It might’ve been my favorite bit of random trivia I’d ever heard.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I've been to John Tyler's grave in Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond. It's a beautiful place, right above the James River. I've also been to Millard Fillmore's grave, another impressive site. Only a few more (Chester Arthur, Andrew Johnson, Gerald Ford) to complete my accidental presidents gravesite tour.

maumann likes this.
  9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

That's actually a fascinating subset. Don't forget a trip to the LBJ Ranch and Harry's Place in Independence, Mo.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yeah, but those guys also got elected on their own; so did Teddy R. So I don't consider them accidental presidents.

maumann likes this.
  11. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Chester Arthur’s in Albany is interesting. One of the more grander graves but set in a low and fairly untraveled section — very low visibility and no signs directing you there. (If you are a Hamilton fan, the Schuyler family also is buried there, but at the highest point.) Gerald Ford’s museum beside his grave is excellent.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    micropolitan guy and maumann like this.
  12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The grandson barely outlived the name of his grandfather at a school in Tyler, Texas. John Tyler High School was renamed Tyler High School.

Draft saved Draft deleted