1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Edward Lodewijk Van Halen

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Really cool store about EVH.

OscarMadison, Chef2 and swingline like this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Listening to the radio this morning - NPR did an obit on Johnny Nash and the Seattle Storm winning the WNBA (no other sports). And no EVH!?
    On another station, Clay Travis was doing a multi-segment interview with Carol Baskin.
    Can't say they don't know their audiences. But geez.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Like every story about every borrowed album, only with guns.

Chef2 likes this.
  4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

End the call with, “okay. Headin’ over to Duke Zeiberts now. Crab cakes are on the menu tonight.”

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'd argue Eddie Van Halen caused more kids to pick up guitars in the 70s than anyone other than Ace Frehley. But Eddie sounded like nobody else, there seemed to be none of the blues-based riffing we were familiar with from the other giants of that era, he was a total original who would be often imitated but never duplicated.

6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Damn. All these years of answering the phone and I never thought to do the "You're the 12th caller to Q-101! You're a BIIIIIG WINNNER! Stay on the line and I'll get your name and information!" to the telemarketers.

playthrough and HanSenSE like this.
  7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I felt that Ric Ocasek and Paulina Porizkova had that same vibe. No longer married but it was clear she was very affected by his death a year ago.

BartonK likes this.
  8. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I sort of forgot that the VH brothers shoved Michael Anthony aside for Wolfie. He always seemed like a ham, but I’m a sentimentalist and I hate it when bands have revolving doors. I’m always amazed that Rush had the run they had with three strong personalities in the band.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Only one Van Halen brother shoved Michael Anthony aside.

Tighthead likes this.
  10. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Yep. Reading a lot of tweets and such about what a great person Eddie was. None of those people ever worked with him. I don't know that Anthony ever wrote a song, but his high harmonies were a huge part of VH's sound. It's a shame he got booted, though he seems to be living his best life in Hagar's various projects.

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

It always amazed me that anyone would have beef with Michael Anthony. Seems like the most affable dude ever. Even as much as he liked his Jack Daniels, the two occasions I'd seen them and the performance was borderline unprofessional due to intoxication, he wasn't the primary offender.

cyclingwriter2 and Tighthead like this.
  12. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I assume Eddie?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted