1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Trevor Bauer vs. 1968 Bob Gibson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jerry-atric, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

laughable.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I’d love to see Keith Law’s reaction when you tell him that. He picked Darvish.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I believe he didn't even put Bauer in his top 3.

4. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I denounce everyone who replied to this thread.

Show some discipline, and ignore the troll!

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

LOL Bauer was 5-4. Yu Darvish 8-3.

Easy choice.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but Bob Gibson or......Bob Owchinko? Tough call.

7. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

I am not familiar with Mr. Owchinko. I do not follow closely the Chinese league.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If his hayseed act is getting old ... the wizened old hand act has a shelf life, too. And I don't care how many of the sycophants liked that.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Small sample size

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The entire season was a small sample size. Eight wins is a huge number in the small season. It was 25% of the Cubs’ victories!

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Dual citizenship is not for everyone.

Also, Gibson.

And it's not close.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Wizened old hand. ... not hack!

One thing I will never understand. ... the small handful of stalkers who come back over and over again like a cockroach infestation, the ones who have been through with endless user names (stupid sock puppets, included) just to spend hours of their lives acting like dicks toward some virtual strangers. ... That part, I actually get. It's the internet and there are a lot of angry, obsessive people in the world who have way too much time on their hands. The Internet was made for them apparently.

The part that I have a bit more trouble figuring out are people who have made it clear that they dislike the board. ... but monitor it silently for months at a time and then will show up randomly to post a shot at someone.

In any case, my personal observation about your act. ... It's an anonymous message board. Which is something you are always the first to point out to people who are acting irrationally over it to try to help them find some perspective. Nonetheless, from what I have seen at least, you've always been straightforward with people about who you are on here, and I know you have gone out of your way to help a number of people in the industry and in their lives. I've always seen you treat people with respect when they reciprocate. I don't know if that makes you a wizened old hand, but it sure doesn't make you a bad person. If it's an act, please keep it up.

ChrisLong likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted