1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

A lot if you’re coming here for people to give you answers instead of coming up with them yourself.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

So BLM is a hate group and me saying it's not is stupid?

4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

No. BLM is a civil rights movement.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

That's what I thought they were, but after hearing people say over and over that BLM is a bunch of terrorists and Marxists and a hate group that's analogous to the KKK or the Proud Boys, and being told that saying it's not a hate group is stupid, maybe it is a hate group. It's been repeated a million times, so it must be true.

And you know me, I say stupid things.

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

The claim that you're supposed to drink eight glasses of water a day has also been repeated a million times, but that doesn't make it true. Plus, the claim your correspondent made about BLM not doing a single "loving thing" can be debunked by spending 30 seconds on your search engine of choice -- and that's assuming one doesn't accept the premise that trying to stop the wanton killing of black folks by the authorities is itself a "loving thing".

Mutual Aid Groups Band Together to Feed Communities Through Crisis
    Mutual Aid Response During Fires Shows Black Lives Matter Is Building Community

I appreciate that you're trying to have good faith conversations on the blasted hellscape that is social media, but at some point you have to ask whether the juice is worth the squeeze with this particular interlocutor. It appears that all you're getting in return for your efforts is a cavalcade of GOP talking points and heated rhetoric from Fox News, OANN, etc. If there's no sign the other person is open to actual discussion -- let alone persuasion -- is this really worth your time and energy?

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

First song on the NPR Heavy Rotation playlist.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

also, please stop trolling us

thanks

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

11. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Siddown, bro. As someone who had a pretty miserable birthday because I realized I was going to have to walk away from some things and people that were important to me, I'll tell you that you really, really need to start thinking and speaking for yourself.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Assumes facts not in evidence.

Donny in his element likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted