1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose open-wheel (F1, IRL) racing thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by crimsonace, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Speaking of IndyCar, tough to get excited about the doubleheader this weekend at Indy. Has any venue - anywhere - ever hosted four races in the same season?

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I was driving home from vacation last year when, out of nowhere, a half dozen McLarens, a few Ferraris, three Lamborghinis, a couple Porsche 911 GT3RSs, two Mercedes AMG GTs and one Dodge Charger, flew past us driving 150 mph. I was doing 85 and they passed me like I was standing still.

Turns out, it was some Cannonball Run-esque supercar rally (I’m still trying to wrap my head around the owner of the Charger getting involved). Wild to see, but scary as shit to have 20 cars bearing down on you in your rearview at those speeds.

EDIT to add: I was originally doing 85. By the time the last car passed me, I looked down at the speedo and I was approaching 100 mph. I guess I subconsciously increased my speed to prevent getting torpedoed. When my wife realized how fast I was going, she about had a coronary.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    ChrisLong and TigerVols like this.
  3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

2021 IndyCar sked:

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wonder why the Detroit doubleheader is two weeks after the 500. That doesn't seem ideal.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Oval racing is just about disappearing from the schedule.

I'm more than fine with that, but it's a pretty significant shift.

6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

We're basically back in 1979. It's CART 2.0, except this time the guy who owns the series also owns the Speedway.

The answer to who won the Split: Roger Penske.

Driftwood and wicked like this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The CART guys (Penske, Ganassi, Rahal, Andretti) now run Indycar. Tony George’s oval utopia is no more.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

maumann likes this.
  9. bigpern23

That's too bad. It'll be interesting to see how a Renault unit will affect Red Bull.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

This is kind of hilarious.

They have a history. It devolved into Red Bull shitting on that engine every single time they lost a race. It became the scapegoat for everything. The two sides hate each other.

There's no way this works.

11. bigpern23

Yeah, that was one of the subplots of season 1 of F1: Drive to Survive, IIRC.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They need something ultrareliable to make them happy … thinking, thinking … solution found!

Turnkey vw beetle 1600 cc engines for sale - Stock & High Performance

PCLoadLetter and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted