1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 MLB postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Sep 27, 2020.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Schedule is out for this most-unusual postseason.

AL Wild Card (best of 3) opens Tuesday, with top seeds hosting.
    (1) Toronto vs. Tampa Bay
    (2) Oakland vs. White Sox
    (3) Minnesota vs. Houston
    (4) Cleveland vs. Yankees

NL Wild card (best of 3) opens Wednesday
    (1) Dodgers vs. Milwaukee
    (2) Atlanta vs. Cincinnati
    (3) Cubs vs. Miami
    (4) San Diego vs. St. Louis.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Best of 3 is a trap for which of top teams? Braves? Oakland?

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Dodgers

tapintoamerica likes this.
  4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Dodgers are vastly superior to the Brew Crew, yet anything can happen in a best-of-three mini-series.
    I wouldn't want to play the White Sox.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

If Burnes hadn't just gone on the DL, I might have put the Dodgers in that category.

Oakland's probably the right answer: Chapman and a key bullpen piece are on the DL. The lineup is actually quite pitiful. And of any three combinations of they could throw out there as starters, how comfortable do you really feel with any of them?

Tampa would be my second choice: Blue Jays have enough streaky hitters and if you can win Ryu's start and assume Snell and Glasnow are unavailable for Game 3, I could see them going down.

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

No days off until the WS. That's going to hurt teams that planned to rely on 5-6 arms for most games.

maumann likes this.
  7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

That's my biggest issue with the current postseason structure, pre-COVID. It doesn't replicate "real" regular season baseball. So many off days allow managers to use (or overuse) their six or seven best pitchers over three series instead of having to leave their starter in, or rely on a fourth/fifth starter or a bullpen start.

Why do you need two or three off days in a seven-game series? That made sense before air travel.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

What always used to bug me (pre-COVID) was the workouts prior to the series. I guess it makes some sense for the visiting team, if they need to figure out ballpark angles and such, but I always found it a little weird that a team would need to have a workout after 6 weeks of spring training and 162 games during the season.

9. Regan MacNeil

It's going to be cold as balls at Wrigley for the three games, but no rain on the horizon.

10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Aren't all the games being played in California and Texas?

EDIT: Didn't realize the Wild Card Series were all home parks. Yikes!

11. Regan MacNeil

Only after the Wild Card round.

maumann likes this.
  12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

As a Dodgers fan, I hope they win the first two games. They are more talented than the Brewers but I've seen Dave Roberts bungle too many games with how he utilizes his pitchers and an elimination game scares me.

Draft saved Draft deleted