1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

If the Olympics go ahead, NBC will want the NHL done by then unless they are going to farm out the rights. I don’t know if that’s even possible.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I hold on to my SI preview issues to see look back and see how well they did. I've got to say they nailed the NBA preview issue (which came out about a year ago) saying Jamal Murray was going to have a huge year. They barely mentioned Joe Burrow in the college football preview issue, college hoops (who knows?), missed big with a Browns resurgence in the NFL preview from last season. But weird looking through them now - they may as well have been from five years ago, not 10 months.

3. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

It is exciting that baseball was able to get their season in, after the early COVID 19 disruptions! Trevor Bauer for NL Cy Young!

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It took a 60-game season for the Reds to finally get a Cy Young winner.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That's a very good point.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That is a hoot!

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Sports just seem to be like a "Silly Season" to me. I really can't get into it. I'm watching things with a smirk because I don't feel it really matters.

I watched most of the Angels games because of habit, but I didn't really care. The players didn't care. The announcers went overboard with the drama when the weren't BSing with each other because of boredom. I didn't watch one minute of any other game.

I watched a lot of the hockey playoffs, but I'm not on the edge of my seat, even in these OT games.

NFL, college football, same thing.

Some early golf was OK because it was the first thing to return. I don't think the lack of fans hurt it at all, unlike the other sports. When players were interviewed, it was almost an afterthought -- oh yeah, we miss the fans.

I just had the feeling that it was all going to tumble down if Covid numbers rose among the player. The games they had played would be meaningless. Glad it didn't happen, but who's to say it still won't.

Is baseball using Covid rules in the playoffs? Runner starts on second in extra innings? If a game is rained out, will they play a 7-inning doubleheader the next day? Not likely, but it could happen, especially in the wild card.

Liut likes this.
  8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I have to think all the overlapping has to hurt. We never have all sports going at once and those who casually sample have to pick their favorite.

LA fans can choose between Game 1 of the Dodgers-Brewers wildcard round or Game 1 the Lakers-Heat NBA finals. Game 7* of the Stanley Cup Final could be on then too, depending what happens tonight, but not many will be watching that in LA.

This season could kill college football for me. Over the years, my interest has waned and now I'm not even motivated to flip to a game on Saturday to check the score and don't follow the sport at all.

* Edited. Thanks @ChrisLong, my math was off

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Liut and maumann like this.
  9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

As I've said on the college football thread, I cannot get invested in it this year. It's a fan driven sport more than any of the professional leagues playing, and it's just not interesting without the pageantry. Not to mention results are going to be skewed because this team is missing half of its offensive line or that team is missing its top two RBs due to COVID, etc. More than any other sport, college football is a complete farce this year.

I've gotten used to no fans in the professional sports, especially soccer. To MTM's point, I'm a casual NBA observer and will watch the playoffs in April and May because, well, that's that natural flow of life. Having the NBA Finals going on at the same time as the NFL just kills my interest. I had zero stakes in Miami-Boston and completely forgot it was on last night. I don't have stakes in Tampa-Dallas either, but I'm a hockey nut so I've tried to carve time to watch. And don't get me started on the French Open in October. I completely forgot it was happening.

Liut and maumann like this.
  10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Glad I'm not alone in this. Wednesday is Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final, if Dallas wins tonight.

maumann likes this.
  11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

It feels like a sports version of Groundhog Day. Every morning I wake up and think nothing has happened since March, when I was all ready to go to the minor league complex in Bradenton ... before everything suddenly ... stopped.

And yet somehow, baseball has played a "season" at the same time hockey and basketball are trying to finish last season and college and pro football are trying to start the next.

The Indy 500* was in August. The Kentucky Derby* and U.S. Open* were in September. They haven't played The Masters* yet. Fanless, funless, mindless made-for-TV events no more important than a quick diversion from the real everyday lunacy consuming us.

It's March 257th in my head. The calendar won't reset.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Hermes, Liut, playthrough and 5 others like this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

MileHigh and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted