1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Die old people DIE!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by goalmouth, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Soylent is people!

maumann likes this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I've probably told this before.... and it worked out for me more than I can ever believe....

In my newspaper days, the only way anyone ever moved up was for the person at the top to retire, then everyone advanced a peg.
    I was assistant sports editor for nearly 20 years, and the sports editor had held that spot more than two decades. He was in his 70s and wouldn't retire simply because he had nothing better to do. He log jammed a bunch of people and never caught on when people kept asking him when he was going to retire.
    I finally gave up and moved on to a much better career and life. If he had done what he should have, I'd probably be the SE of a dying newspaper making about two thirds of what I am now and working 60 hours a week to get it, but dang.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

OK Boomer!

maumann likes this.
  4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm dying as fast as I can. I can't help it if some people are better at it than I am.

5. Starman

When I was in high school in the early-mid Seventies, one of our Econ teachers made quite a stink by saying, "Social Security will be gone before you even get there."

He got some blowback from parents, as I recall. Boiled down, his argument was, "You're 15 now. You're on the tail end of the biggest population boom in the history of the nation. Sometime in the next 50 years there will be a recession or depression, and by the time you get to 65, it'll be gone. So if you want to retire, you're gonna have to do it your own damn self. Get a job with a good pension, because Social Security will be gone. Oh, by the way, it'll also help if your parents leave you a load of money."

6. maumann

Yep. Gwen and I heard the same argument. Stunningly, there's still feed in the trough for now. Congress would be slitting their own throats to whack programs for retirees, since they have little else to do but vote and use their Jitterbugs to call their representatives in Washington.

Driftwood likes this.
  7. Starman

Oh there's something else a few thousand of them could do: not everybody on the cusp of SS is confined to scooter chairs, and quite a few of them own guns.

Driftwood and maumann like this.
  8. maumann

The youngest Boomers (1964) just turned 56 this year. If at least one lives to be 112, you'll be stuck with us until 2076. Happy tricentennial! Boomers and cockroaches.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I heard likewise when I was in high school in the late 90s. That's part of the risk inherent with a pay-as-you-go pension scheme, though. There's ample risk-sharing as long as the economy is stable and the population is growing, but it breaks down if there's more people taking out of the system than paying in. That -- if we extend the principle of maximum charity -- is part of the logic behind discussions of switching to a fully funded system. Whether and how to switch from PAYGO to fully funded has been a hot topic in the policy realm for a while, but with the combination of pension reform already being a 'third rail' issue and the disastrous effect such a switch had on the USPS, I wouldn't hold my breath on that happening here any time soon.

https://www.econstor.eu/bitstream/10419/962/1/231007841.pdf
    https://www.nber.org/papers/w6149.pdf
    https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1111/1468-0440.00127.pdf
    https://www.ifs.org.uk/economic_review/fp184.pdf

maumann likes this.
  10. Starman

If Fatfuck gets rid of FICA taxes as he plans to do, the money will be gone in two years.
    And in that case, do you think the Trumpfascists want to go through two years of nonstop screaming about poor granny and my poor disabled cousin Elbert as the programs inevitably drift toward oblivion?

Fuck no. They're gonna want to get their fingers into those trust funds immediately. So Fatfuck will issue some executive order commanding that due to the crisis situation created by the Obamavirus, all SS payments must be eliminated immediately.

Get all the screaming over with at once. A few days of shotgun toting seniors marching up Pennsylvania Avenue, the Trumpswaffen opens up with machine guns and the heat rays, everybody goes home.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Laser beams, too!

12. Starman

Fatfuck loves his new toys, so why not??

Draft saved Draft deleted