1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 2 thread -- Tim Couch still sucks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Sep 17, 2020.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

They are moneymakers.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Regardless of who owns them. The league can’t stand Jones.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Jerry has come up with a number of ideas that have put a lot of money in NFL owners' pockets over the years.

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Oh, wait, not that Jesus Jones.

5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

no the other jesus the one who built my hot rod now how 'bout ding a dang dong dong dong ling long dingy a dingy dong a down

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Which is why a player can do anything and still play as long as the team believes the money made is worth the negative publicity. Ray McDonald beat his girlfriend, she recanted, he played. Then another woman claimed he sexually assault led her, recanted, he played. He was arrested twice more, domestic violence and violation of a restraining, and was still signed to play. Never convicted.

as long as the money flows, play on, unless incarcerated?

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Given how weirdly conservative most of them started out as though, it's not exactly like Jerry is pioneering nuclear fission here. Probably like Al Davis and Bill Veeck and others though, you have to be comfortable being That Asshole doing something different than the other 20 to 30 teams, until they wake up and copy you.

Also, Dave Dameshek first brought this up so its not my idea, but - Jerry Jones probably runs the Cowboys how I'd want to run them, if I owned a team. Meaning, if I magically had a couple billion dollars to buy a sports franchise, what's the fun in delegating shit like making draft picks and signing free agents?

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Jerry once was hated by the league office and the "establishment" owners. Now he is the establishment.

sgreenwell likes this.
  9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I can appreciate that philosophy. Is Jer just a retired businessman living on a pension and his hobby is owning an NFL team? He’s probably worth more as an owner than whatever scam of a business he was running before. He’s got pretty much a captive customer base with customers who have huge amount of elasticity in his product. As we’ve seen in government, the CEO can rape, disparage, discriminate and kill with impunity, as long as the customer’s irrational feeling he’s being catered to is in place, the CEO is invulnerable. Jerry could have shot Jason Garrett in the head rather than told him his contract wasn’t being renewed with zero backlash.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Jones is and really always has been respected by other owners for his abilities as an earner. They are all also very happy he spends half his time playing football genius because they, like all of us, have noticed the Cowboys ain't won shit for 25 years now.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

He pissed off the league office and many of the owners back in the day with his end-run Pepsi/Nike/Amex deals, among other things. The NFL actually sued him over that -- and he sued back.

Eventually they figured out his ideas (such as the escalation of the league's TV deals) could make money for all of them, and he became a member of the club, rather than an outsider.

Draft saved Draft deleted