1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020-21 College Basketball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Sep 22, 2020.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I don't see one, so let's go.

Seems plainly obvious college basketball will be played in some way this coming season, but it will be different.

Here's what's known:
    • The season will start Nov. 25.
    • Nobody really has a schedule yet
    • The Athletic is reporting a couple bubbles are already setup with others planned
    • It appears Orlando will be the center of the college basketball universe in November and December
    • All of this appears to be a disaster for low-majors and HBCUs that rely on their basketball teams traveling the country for paycheck games

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The NCAA can and should do something about the last point.
    I'm not a fan of expansion, however. They hit the sweet spot when they went from 65 to 68. There will always be arguments over the last exclusions, but there are fewer of them with 68. There just aren't enough credible teams beyond that.

3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Texas State will ghost Kaspar now.

Songbird likes this.
  5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Pretty sure nobody in history has ever used this phrase.

Flip Wilson likes this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The NCAA could have a one year increased payment to those schools, or it could create tournament events that attract a nice TV contract and include these teams in the events.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

If teams play almost zero out of conference games though, it's going to be pretty hard to evaluate the relative strengths of the leagues and teams, outside of relying on past precedent like "ACC = good!!!" Since I'm a fan of an Atlantic 10 team, that would suck for me, since something like Dayton's surge last year would have been muted. So, I'm kind of fine if they bump up the field in a massive way this year - to 96 or 128 - although I recognize it probably won't happen.

8. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I think 128 would be so much fun

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Put them all in a bubble. Pay them. And they can all take online classes at NC Central via the Coach K Center for Bullshit Academics.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Well, we already know the Maui Invitational field is talking about playing at the Dean Dome in Chapel Hill.
    Duke is talking about putting together something in Cameron at Durham.

Hopefully, those hotel bubbles will compensate for the glaring lack of masks and/or improperly worn masks. Maybe the Triangle is being better about it than more rural parts of the state.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

They're spinning this as saving travel and being easier from a Covid angle. OTOH, at best the home team plays a good match-up back to back, and at worst back to back stinkers.

Judy McLeod, the CUSA commish, is whatever the next step down from an empty suit is.

12. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I kind of think it's a good idea.

Draft saved Draft deleted