1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA 2019-20 thread.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Oct 7, 2019.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Miami and Philly are actually a really good contrast of a well-run franchise vs. a pack of clowns.

Miami is run by as smart a basketball guy as you'll find in Pat Riley. Spoelstra is a really good coach. If you look at that roster I believe there's exactly one guy who was a top 10 pick -- Andre Iguodala, picked ninth in 2004, who is barely a peripheral figure in this team. They found Duncan Robinson just working out in a gym somewhere.

Philly decided the best way to compete was to surrender for year after year after year so they could stockpile top picks. It's a terrible way to run a franchise and that's being proven now. Most of those picks were busts and the ones who can play can't play together.

Since 2004 Miami has had two top 10 picks in the draft.

Since 2010 Philly has had five top 3 picks in the draft. To show for it they have a perpetually out-of-shape, soft big man and a guy who won't shoot.

Philly decided Butler was too old and didn't like that he called out the lack of leadership and work ethic on that team. Miami wanted him because of that work ethic.

2. PCLoadLetter

Yeah, but he was also right. He should get some credit for that.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think you're being a bit too harsh about Philly, because the guy who decided to tank and accumulate draft capital wasn't the one who decided to blow it on the Butler and Harris trades and contracts. Also, Miami's leadership is Pat Riley, and short of getting Jerry West in there, I'm not sure if there is a guy with such a long and established track record at this point.

4. PCLoadLetter

Right, but they replaced bad leadership with bad leadership. Hinkie's approach to tanking and hoarding picks was a bad idea and it failed. Elton Brand decided to let Butler walk and to give a max to Tobias Harris. No one comes out of that looking smart.

And no, there aren't too many guys with Pat Riley's track record out there, but I would rather hand my team over to a successful career basketball guy than a numbers cruncher from Bain Capital.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

They moved away from their process, that’s when they really fucked this thing up.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Got to give Brand some credit, BUT FOR Kawhi’s all-time LUCKIEST shot EVER, the Sixers are right there and just maybe win a title. Yeah I said it but I’ve never ever, pro or otherwise seen a shot like that’d tom the wing, go in.

I didn’t like the Harris trade though.

7. PCLoadLetter

And I would argue that the Process was a flawed notion from the start. It still netted them two number ones and two number threes in a four year span, and two of the four players they picked were stiffs.

How long are you supposed to keep tanking? Joel Embiid was drafted in 2014 -- how long was he supposed to wait for them to start giving a shit?

8. PCLoadLetter

The best player for the Sixers in the postseason last year was Jimmy Butler and Brand let him walk.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

They were done tanking. I would have given them the opportunity to take the next step.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

11. PCLoadLetter

sgreenwell, Webster and JC like this.
  12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I disagree with you on Hinkie, but I don't think its unreasonable to criticize what he was doing, either. Like, I understand why you'd give him a failing grade, whereas I'd probably give him more of an incomplete.

However, I think the track record for the Bain Capital guys is probably going to be way better than the ex-players. For every Pat Riley and Jerry West, I imagine there are way more Elgin Baylors and Vlade Divacs.

Draft saved Draft deleted