1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fun and interesting twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A German surfer? Do they have a gnarly break on the Rhine where he learned?

ChrisLong likes this.
  2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Most impressive performance by a German since Katerina Witt and Heidi Klum.

maumann and Inky_Wretch like this.
  3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Hey if you can't shred the surf in the North Sea, you have no business hanging 10 any where else

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Ain't no way in hell I'm exposing my very own personal body to a wave like that.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

At one point in my life I wanted to surf Nazaré just to say I did it. Now? I’d try anything that’s just overhead, but that’s a little too overhead.

And then there’s this guy.

Riding the giant: big-wave surfing in Nazaré

There’s a deep offshore canyon that runs deep right up to the point break at Praia do Norte, and then it quite suddenly gets shallow at the point. All the water rushing up the trench makes for massive waves.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Obviously you gotta put a ring on it, right?

7. ChrisLong

Thanks for posting those, Coffee. That stuff is really interesting to me, been around surfing and surfers my whole life. One time I went to try to find Jaws in Maui, just to see it if I could, not even go in the water. I didn't know then that you have to be invited and there is a series of private properties. If I recall correctly, Jaws is about a mile offshore, so you can't even see it from land. There isn't a beach. You have to go by boat to get to it.
    I hope Nazare stays as pristine as it is and not turn into another Port St. Francis in South Africa. Port St. Francis had the best waves in "Endless Summer." When they went back 30-some years later to film "Endless Summer 2," there were condos and the building changed the wind that blew sand into the water. Thus, the ocean floor changed and the waves changed. Damn shame.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Georg Hackl wants a word.

Also a handy tip, if you put "East German luger" in a Google search, all you get are photos of guns. And interstitial ads promoting Republicans, Second Amendment rights and local gun shows.

12. ChrisLong

Hackl came in just behind Witt and Klum.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted