1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last Chance U

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Aug 7, 2016.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Which guy had the most talent?

I feel like if Stern channeled his energy, became coachable and made a move to safety, he would have more value than he does at receiver.

Rezjohn = most overrated player in the five seasons of the show.
    He's the guy who gets torched two or three times, comes up with a lucky pick and thinks he had a great game.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Finished it last night. Liked all the kids except Rezjohn, who was an arrogant ass. He should have been at EMCC with the other boneheads. I thought RJ was a helluva player, but he complained too much and didn't improve. Poor Dior, great kid, but too neurotic. Glad he will get a chance in Hawaii, but who is paying for him to walk-on? The lineman is to be admired, a big, dumb guy with a huge heart. I hope they all get some PT.

Iron_chet and 3_Octave_Fart like this.
  3. 3_Octave_Fart

Nu'u would make any dad proud.

Rezjohn ... even as much of a bitch as he is, everyone else shows him support. That's team-building and it comes from the top.

I think John is a good guy and a great leader but he was being outcoached in a lot of those games- and that was very clear to see.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The most talented surely looked like Rezjohn, even though he had those Durant like legs, he had great M2M CB instincts and would tackle. Now his head? Classic diva, all about him, quick to get on others. Now the root of that could be his non-traditional upbringing (how about his mom finally getting a home after being a single mom union longshoreman? Great), the huge struggles financially.

Nu'u looked like he's got that great combo of speed and size, not sure about the passion.

Stern just too much of a individualist.

Was Beam out-coached? The snippets I saw, they lacked a D line. They got torched through the gut then no pass rush.

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Stern would not go across the middle, right? He kept wanting to turn everything verticle?

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

He would split out too wide as well, which would not provide the threat of an out, at least that's what I understood.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Yeah, all that. But he returned kicks and got hammered a few times. He popped right up.
    I've eaten at Everest and Jones, the BBQ place he went with his father figure, just up from Jack London Square. Really great food.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

Stern made plays when they used him as something other than a decoy.

It was bad coaching keeping him out of the offense half the season, even if he was a headcase (like nearly every dude on every team in the series).

ChrisLong likes this.
  9. 3_Octave_Fart

qtlaw- That team had no offense, no run game.

I can't remember one long running play that wasn't out of the pistol.

You're down to your fifth quarterback, I get it, but don't have dude throw long on every down. Find the playmakers and get them the ball in space.

ChrisLong likes this.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Finally got around to finishing this last night (didn't watch the second season with Indy because too many spoilers in real life). Enjoyed it more than the other season, since I've covered juco ball in this state in the past. Coach Beam comes across as a genuine human being, as interested in getting his studs on to the next level as much as winning in the present time.

Worth noting: While Laney didn't make the state playoffs, they did play in a bowl (think anything outside the NY6 for equivalency), losing to Sierra (Rocklin). Maybe because the bar was set so high after winning state the previous year, but that result does not appear on Laney's website.

11. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

One of my friends had Coach Beam on for a podcast a couple of weeks ago. It's worth the 17 or so minutes he speaks and talks about it from all aspects.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

Who was the worst coach in this series?

Draft saved Draft deleted