1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA 2019-20 thread.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Oct 7, 2019.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I just meant in terms of who teams hire for the job. The list of PGs turned coach - and catchers turned manager - dwarves all of the other positions in the respective sports.

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

One reason there are so many point guards as coaches is that coaching fathers start their sons as the point guard or the quarterback.

sgreenwell and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Billy Donovan hitting the open market

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's a pretty big Woj Bomb.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

So Steve Nash gets hired as a head coach with no prior coaching experience. Seems like a clear instance of "white privilege." But dig a little deeper and you'll see its not.

The more I hear, for what its worth, the more it becomes evident that the driving force, or at least one of the two main ones, was that Nash had forged a strong relationship with Durant. Now Nash has been close to the GM Marks for about 20 yrs so that's got to be a big factor, but I find it hard to believe that Marks hires his buddy as coach and says to Durant and Kyrie "you must follow him/her now."

So about that special relationship that made this happen. Yes, many times its about golfing at the country club, or having dinner and forging a relationship (I know, my business depends on it) but look at the application here. KD was the kingmaker, he could have chosen to have that relationship with Kendrick Perkins (yeah right), Detlef, Kurt Thomas, or Earl Watson, or Mark Bryant (08 asst coach). He chose Nash.

Whatever your suspicions may be, it was a color-blind choice here. We should be applauding it, not holding it out as an example of white privilege. Congrats Mr. Nash.

TigerVols likes this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Who exactly has been holding out Nash as an example of white privilege? His resume is almost exactly like Jason Kidd's, who while he was no Red Auerbach as a coach was not a total failure either. We're talking an MVP here. That's his privilege. He was a superstar in a league where those rule.

8. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Stephen A. Smith has, of course.

9. Regan MacNeil

When did Russ become Tyreke Evans inside the circle?

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  10. Regan MacNeil

Can't fucking finish, but Russ does have the jumper working tonight.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I bet the Lakers wouldn’t just stand around watching Harden drive to the basket if Billy Donovan was their coach.

12. Regan MacNeil

I think Billy's going to the Bucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted