1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. I did not expect them to go back to the murder-of-the-week approach given how the fourth season ended.

I just finished the half-season today. It got better during the last couple of episodes, including a fun, but not shocking, reveal at the end of episode eight.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Getting your favorite Trump supporter an HBO subscription might create some interesting conversations.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Binged first two seasons of Killing Eve but for whatever reason season 3 isn't available anywhere. Not sure why it wouldn't be on my cable on demand. So hopefully it comes to Hulu by end of the year maybe.

Watched the first-ever Midsomer Murders last night on Amazon (it started in like 1998) and will drop back into those whenever I just need a good hour and a half mystery. My folks loooooove any British murder mystery, including Midsomer, so last night I was texting with my mom and she said she's currently "watching 9 or 10 of them." Good god. She's either going to start speaking in an accent or be inspired by the killers and start throwing some poison into her Christmas cookies to knock off some townsfolk. She'll be the last person anyone will suspect...except for some wise inspector who discovers the truth. The original TV writer for Midsomer was Anthony Horowitz. He's written some great novels in the genre, including the Magpie Murders, for anyone who enjoys fun tales about quaint English villages that are the site of gruesome murders.

4. outofplace

I binged the two seasons of Harley Quinn on HBO Max. I think it originally aired on DC's streaming service. It is a truly insane animated series. The supporting cast is primarily the villains of DC comics. It is extremely violent and very funny. Kaley Cuoco provides the voice for Harley and Lake Bell is Poison Ivy, but Alan Tudyk steals quite a few scenes as both Clayface and The Joker.

I actually like where they ended the second season, but I would certainly be back for a third one.

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

They didn’t use Tara Strong for Harley or Mark Hamill for the Joker? Boo!

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

How many murders that occur during Zoom meetings do you think we'll see once the cop shows come back. And there will be a cavalcade of bad BLM storylines. The people that watch those shows tend to be anti-BLM.

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

HBO right now is way ahead in the BLM storylines.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Enjoying Hightown on Starz (its free on Comcast through the weekend). Didn't know about Provincetown being a gay mecca before a recent season on Ray Donovan. It's a great setting for a sprawling crime story involving drugs, and it's long overdue that one of these shows featured a female anti-hero.

9. outofplace

Strong is the original Harley and she is fantastic. Hamill is still my favorite Joker.

That said, Cuoco is better than I expected and Tudyk is fantastic in everything. I like his version of Joker, but his Clayface is a riot. To be clear, this version of Clayface is nothing like the monster on Batman: The Animated Series. He is capable of being a real threat, but most of the time, the character is there for comic relief. The show has so many great little performances. James Adominan's Bane is a fun parody of Tom Hardy's version, complete with being difficult to understand. Getting Michael Ironside to voice Darkseid was fantastic, too. I think he is the only voice actor from the Timmverse to appear on the show.

But here is a little something for fans of Hamill and Strong.

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I don't think you ever check the video game thread, but they're using the Court of Owls as the villain in an upcoming Batman game.

11. outofplace

I don't read that thread, but I did see the trailer for the game. As much as I enjoy DC's animated stuff, I've really never been a big DC comics guy. I don't really know that much about the Court of Owls.

It is amazing how good they have been with animated movies. I just watched Justice League vs. Teen Titans, and now I'm watching Justice League: Gods and Monsters. Sadly, HBO Max doesn't have the Timmverse stuff, though Batman: The Animated Series is on Amazon Prime.

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Hoops is filthy and pretty funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted