1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amazing for what now passes as "news"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Readallover, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I put things like that in the paper 30 years ago.

Col. Nathan R. Jessup likes this.
  3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I suspect the first newspaper ever printed was filled with stuff like that.

RonClements likes this.
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Last place I worked at, townfolks worked really hard to get an In-and-Out Burger even though it fell just under the population threshhold. When it finally opened, Good Morning America showed up.

EDIT: Adds link, just for the YGBFKM crowd.
    In-N-Out opens in Hanford | ABC11 Raleigh-Durham | abc11.com

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

When a CFA opened years ago near my rural bureau, it was big news. I was also there every darned day.

SportsGuyBCK likes this.
  6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I feel like we've had this exact same topic and conversation within the past six months... Fuck, its probably every six months.

ETA: Found it. Anyway... Weird if the opening of a Chick-fil-A makes A1 in anything but a really local paper, but it does annoy me when editors have the opposite extreme stance. If the opening of Business X is the biggest god damn thing of the week in Podunk, well, you hold your nose and you write about it.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Not that long ago, I worked with a guy who pulled a Disney press release off PR Newswire and used it to fill a hole on A3. We didn't have much use for the guy, who was a weasel anyway, so we let it marinate there long enough that the boss later came around and asked why that hole opened back up so late on A3.

Good times.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

It might merit a business brief. I wouldn't blow out A1 over it. I don't see the big deal.

sgreenwell likes this.
  9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The JV jousters worked just as hard and deserved coverage.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

How much advertising did Chick-fil-A buy? Oh, right, none.

11. Mock it all you want, but that story is guaranteed to be one of the most-read on damn near any website, any given day.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Seriously. When a new store opens they give away free food for a year to the first 2o customers or something like that, so there's usually a college kid who camped out for three days and will be an easy story to write.

Draft saved Draft deleted