1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running thread of people with COVID-19... get well Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Mar 19, 2020.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I think it was more of a warning. I remember him more for "Lemon Tree," to be honest.

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

News reports said he hammered all over this land.

maumann and Twirling Time like this.
  3. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Get well soon, Mr. Plaschke!

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

6. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Mark Mothersbaugh of Devo relates his experience with COVID-19:

“There’s a bookstore I love there where I get stationery supplies, and in my mind I had been there,” Mothersbaugh, 70, said Thursday afternoon, sitting on the patio of the Hollywood Hills home he shares with his wife, Anita Greenspan, and two teenage daughters. “I was convinced for about two weeks that I had been hit by a brick by somebody in Little Tokyo.”

Wearing chrome-framed eyeglasses, his nose and mouth covered by a black mask branded with the logo of his Mutato Musika commercial music company, Mothersbaugh touched his right temple while recalling the experience, as if searching for a head wound.

“I felt blood from being hit. I was handcuffed to a parking deck downtown. I had this whole elaborate story of how these kids sold me to an ambulance company that then got some sort of a payment for delivering COVID patients to their ICUs. I totally believed it,” he said. …

During one crucial moment, Mothersbaugh believes they helped him stay tethered to the present.

His voice turning soft, he remembered “a time where I just felt exhausted. Like, ‘I could just float down this river right now, and it would be really peaceful. It wouldn’t be a freak-out. It wouldn’t be something I’d be scared of. I could really just do that.’ I really thought about it.

“And then it just happened that [Greenspan] called me, and she and the kids were on my phone, saying, ‘You’re getting out of there soon. Get off of that machine.’ I don’t know if everybody is lucky enough to have somebody do that for them.”

For Mothersbaugh, the message he most wants to convey is: “If you have anyone that you know who’s in ICU with COVID, contact them and keep them in touch with the outside world, because it’s easy to lose track of where you are and why you are. I had no idea I was on a ventilator for 10 days. Time meant nothing.” …

Nearly two months after being discharged, the TikTokkers are gone and Mothersbaugh is back at work. He says he’s still feeling a few fading after-effects. Holding out his left hand, which is trembling slightly, he described “a little thing with my nerves.” Worse, though, is the overall physical toll, which he described as “creepy.”

“Before COVID, I was like, ‘Yeah, I’m starting to feel about 50 now, and I’m 70.’ When I was in the hospital, I was feeling like I was about 90. And now I’m back to 70, and I’m trying to get back to 50. That’s my goal.”​

Tangent: The infamous TikTok party house is across the street from Mothersbaugh’s house, but is unrelated to his illness.

Mark Mothersbaugh nearly died from COVID-19. FaceTiming with his family kept him alive

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The president. His wife.

Draft saved Draft deleted