1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 Baseball Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I think this is a stupid idea, especially because several of the candidates have a decent chance to pass away between now and the 2022 induction but whatever.

It's also stupid because there are going to be no modern candidates elected -- the first-timers fall well short and the only holdover who has a chance is Schilling, so good luck with that.

The board of directors of the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum has voted unanimously to reschedule this winter’s two Era Committee elections because of concerns associated with the COVID-19 pandemic.

Hall of Fame Chairman Jane Forbes Clark says the Era Committee process requires in-person dialogue involving the members of the 16-person voting committee. In view of those concerns, she said the board decided that the Golden Days Committee and the Early Days Committee will instead meet during the winter of 2021.

The Golden Days Era Committee considers Hall of Fame candidates whose primary contributions to the game came from 1950 to 1969, and the Early Baseball Era Committee considers candidates whose primary contributions came prior to 1950. Each committee will consider a ballot of 10 candidates compiled by the Baseball Writers’ Association of America’s Historical Overview Committee, and those candidates will be announced in autumn 2021. Both committees will consider the ballots later that year and anybody elected will be enshrined in 2022.

2. Della9250

Everyone on the Early Baseball ballot is dead but the last Golden Days ballot (which was held in 2014) had these candidates, with their current ages:

Maury Wills, 87, missed by three votes
    Tony Oliva, 82, missed by a vote
    Jim Kaat, 81, missed by two votes
    Luis Tiant, 79
    Dick Allen, 78, missed by a vote

Dead
    Minnie Miñoso, missed by four votes
    Ken Boyer
    Gil Hodges
    Bob Howsam
    Billy Pierce

maumann likes this.
  3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

All I can tell you is that list makes me feel very old.

maumann likes this.
  4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

There's nobody on that list who would be worse than the worst player already in the Hall. At some point, the Expansion Era is going to need to be adequately represented.

heyabbott likes this.
  5. Della9250

The problem is that the Today's Game committee ballot is for players who can't be on eligible for it until their maximum time of the regular ballot would have expired. So if they were voting this year, anyone who played after 1988 and retired 2004 in 2004 is eligible. It is an extremely narrow scope and that showed when there were three managers and an owner among the 10 candidates.

The Modern Era Ballot (1970-87) will be interesting next time around. Two spots are open with Miller and Simmons to be inducted and Whitaker probably has to be viewed as the top choice among the holdovers.

Also, to be fair, the regular voters are doing a pretty good job of electing people who should be elected. Outside of steroid-tainted guys and Pete Rose for the obvious reasons, there aren't a lot of guys in that started after 1970, retired before 2004 range who should be in. There are a couple of notable misses.

How much of a clamor should there be for say, this list:

Munson
    Grich
    Whitaker
    Evans
    McGriff, who will be eligible for the next Today's Game ballot.

And then realize that the people picking the Today's Game ballot though the best six were Baines, Bells, Carter, Clark, Hershiser and Smith and the last Modern Ballot had Evans, Garvey, John, Mattingly, Munson, Murphy, Parker, and Whitaker

maumann likes this.
  6. Della9250

Spink Award Finalists

Dick Kaegel
    Marty Noble
    Allan Simpson

All newcomers as finalists, jumping Patrick Reusse and Jim Reeves from last year

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Frick Award Finalists

Buddy Blattner
    Joe Buck
    Dave Campbell
    Dizzy Dean
    Don Drysdale
    Ernesto Jerez
    Al Michaels
    Dan Shulman

2021 Ford C. Frick Award Ballot

8. Della9250

So is Joe Buck going to get a double induction this year?

I don't like giving it to guys still working.

Michaels seems like an obvious choice: three other guys are dead and there's a chance he wouldn't make it to the next induction ceremony for this category

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There's probably nobody on the list who would be among the worst 20 players in the HOF if inducted.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I’m with you on this. No one working should go in

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

My problem with Michaels is he hasn't done baseball regularly in about 30 years, when CBS took over the contract.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Blattner and Dean are before my time and I'm not familiar with Jerez, but do any of the others really belong in the HoF? Drysdale was a decent broadcaster, so is Shulman. Buck and Michaels both have done a lot of big games, but are/were they outstanding? I remember liking Campbell years ago, but can't remember why.

Draft saved Draft deleted