1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Just got done watching "Suburbicon"
    I'm a sucker for anything that Clooney and Damon are involved with.
    If you've seen the trailer for it, then you've caught part of the scene where Damon is riding away on a bike that is way too small for him......son of a bitch.....that full scene...
    This is not a movie to enjoy. You will either like it or hate it.
    I liked it.
    3 1/2 toes out of 5.

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

The new Jamie Foxx, super power thing on Netflix. It’s decent, but the best thing in the movie is the young woman. By a mile the best thing.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Dr. Zhivago. I get that it was supposed to be a long-range (and long-running!) epic movie, but I think some of it could have been cut out, or down, without losing anything.

I'd never seen it before, so I'm glad I watched, but I didn't love it, and I wouldn't see it as an unforgettable classic.

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Just watched "Charade" last night on TCM. Wonderful plot. Tremendous cast.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Girl in the Spiders Web got bad reviews - not sure it deserved them, maybe it was the somewhat run of the mill plot - but I also think focusing the film on Lisbeth Salander (rather than the journalist, like they did in the Tattoo movie) might have been part of it. Claire Foy is great in it - but the great thing about Salendar is that her character is "elusive" you don't get to "get" her - you want to get to know her and why she is the way she is, but actually finding out removes a lot of the mystique.

Widows was very good. Chicago, politics, crime, race, and Robert Duvall? I'm in. Throw in Viola Davis doing Viola Davis things, Liam Neeson, Colin Farrell...great stuff. My one wish is that they made it a six to 10 part mini-series to go deeper with all of the characters (it was based on a BBC series). We talked about tracking shots on another thread - there is a phenomenal one in Widows which features a car ride from the "bad part" of Chicago to the "nice part" and it doesn't take that long - and it says so much about Chicago.

maumann and SFIND like this.
  6. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Finally saw Knives Out. Not bad. Amusing.

7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

A truly underrated movie.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Got in three movies during about 24 hours of flights. Could've been more, but the pickings were somewhat slim and -- to my surprise -- I somehow managed to sleep through most of the trip. This is stunning to me as sleeping on flights has been a struggle for years.

Jojo Rabbit: Thoroughly enjoyable, as most Taika Waititi films are. Having kids in such important roles has the potential to sink a movie, but they came through here. Had a fleeting thought toward the end of the film that Yorkie might be a Highlander. I can see why some people said Waititi was the weak link in the cast -- not that he was necessarily bad, but everyone around him was just that strong.

Ready or Not: This one got lots of buzz on Faculty of Horror, one of my go-to horror podcasts, so I was looking forward to it. Another solid recommend, even if one of the beats felt directly lifted from A Quiet Place. I was definitely amused by the red herring served up by so much of the promotional material.

What We Do in the Shadows: Surprised by how much this one didn't click with me. It had Waititi, the team behind Flight of the Conchords, and a seemingly solid premise, but I gave it 30 minutes and I was just done. Admittedly, I loathe cringe humor -- same reason The Office as so many other popular shows sailed right past me -- and the film has a fair bit of it. Plus, one of the under-5s who ends up as dinner looked disturbingly like a former friend of mine, which also took me out of the movie. I can see why other people dig it, but this one just wasn't for me.

TigerVols likes this.
  9. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

The TV show is worth a watch.

10. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I watched Cop Car the other night on Netflix. Kevin Bacon is a crooked sheriff whose car is stolen by a couple of kids. Hijinks ensue (not really) as Sheriff Bacon tries to get his car back.

It....wasn't bad. Certainly not great.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Birds of Prey was a mess. Margot Robbie is good as Harley Quinn, but the story is just weird and full of decisions by characters that make no sense. They seemed to try to be true to the comics with some characters, such as Huntress and Black Mask, but they seemed to throw out the source material with their version of Cassandra Cain. Rosie Perez was just kind of annoying and distracting as Renee Montoya.

I did enjoy Midway. Maybe the script could have been a little tighter, but I thought the performances were good.

12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Agree. Menacing Kevin Bacon is the best Bacon, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted