1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Idaho State Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by AndrewH202, Jul 21, 2020.

1. AndrewH202

AndrewH202 New Member

The Idaho State Journal, East Idaho's leading news source, is looking for a high energy sports reporter to cover local high school and NCAA Division I athletics. This is a full-time position that includes benefits and a 401K. Ideally, we want to hire someone with previous sports writing experience or someone well trained enough to hit the ground running covering East Idaho's vibrant and diverse sports scene. The job requires someone who can build sources, cover a beat, and write engaging sports stories quickly under deadline. You need to be able to keep in-game stats, feel comfortable using social media in your reporting and ideally, be able to shoot and post photos and videos to go with your stories. The person we hire will cover high school sporting events as well as the athletic scene at Division I Idaho State University.

The Idaho State Journal is a four-day per week newspaper but we consider ourselves to be a web first publication and we're looking for candidates who approach the job with the knowledge that most of our readers are online. The Idaho State Journal is located in Pocatello, an East Idaho city of about 55,000 people located within a two to three hour drive of Salt Lake City, Boise and Yellowstone National Park. If you enjoy outdoor activities such as fishing, hunting, skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking and hiking, you will love East Idaho. Please email your resume and work samples to Sports Editor Andrew Houghton at ahoughton@journalnet.com.

A little more context here — the primary beat for this job is Idaho State men's basketball. Division I in the Big Sky Conference. Struggling program, they hired a new coach last year who's turned the roster over twice now already. That's a big part of the job, but probably over half of what you're doing is going to be preps. We cover about 15 local high schools, including a bunch that regularly contend for state championships. I'm looking to move relatively quickly because I'm a one-man shop right now and would like to get somebody else in. You can DM me on here with questions, but I'll probably respond quicker to emails, address in the description.

2. AndrewH202

AndrewH202 New Member

Update — I am planning to stop taking resumes on Monday, which will be two weeks after we posted this. If you want to be considered, get me a resume and clips by the end of the day Monday.

3. Private Preps Press

Private Preps Press New Member

Andrew,

Any chance you can accept my application, which was a week late? I didn't see the posting until this past Monday.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers.

Hunter

4. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

"You can DM me on here with questions, but I'll probably respond quicker to emails, address in the description."

I'm just saying, man.....

5. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

So, short answer...No.

6. adcs2

adcs2 Member

Ron, stick to singing Boyz to Men songs

7. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Kindly stick to pissing off. I have no idea why you feel the need to constantly troll me. I don't even know who you are.

8. adcs2

adcs2 Member

east coast family

9. Alec Hamilton

Alec Hamilton New Member

Do we know if this position has been filled?

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

YOU’RE HIRED!

Draft saved Draft deleted