1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Three.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Jesus. The SCIENCE teacher's words are so damning at the end of that piece. One of my former co-workers lives in Canton and his daughter was supposed to start ninth grade this year. I have a freelance piece due this week so I may email him to find out what they've experienced.

Dumpty-dumb high school in our county will be next on your national news. Starting Friday with no manadatory mask wearing. Gwen's former district has pushed back to after Labor Day, but it's only a matter of time there, too. She told me only 10 percent of the parents are opting for virtual learning. Heaven help the other 90.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

What's the 3rd?

5. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

American exceptionalism FTW

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The mask thing drives me crazy. It was one of the first things I checked when my daughter's district announced their plan. I was happy to find that masks will be mandatory at all times for staff and students, with the exception of lunch and scheduled mask breaks. I'm still not sure how the breaks work, but at least they are mandatory most of the time.

Note the teacher's comment at the end is not focused on the decision to have in-person classes. Her issue was with not making masks mandatory.

“My personal fear is that I’m going to die before my career is over, that this tiny virus is what’s going to take me out, and not old age or some horrific accident," science teacher Olivia Vacid told the Tribune & Ledger News. "I don’t understand the county’s refusal to mandate masking for students"

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

excess deaths?

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There is no doubt that the official numbers people take as gospel are innaccurate counts -- both in terms of cases and deaths.

That would have been the case without the step up to an even greater level of dishonesty that is now in our federal and state governments (who would have thought that would be possible?). Due to a number of factors. The biggest one is probably that there are so many asymptomatic carriers of this virus who are not getting counted.

On top of that, though, there is no transparency from our government and you have some really shitty and dishonest people from Donald Trump on down to the governors like Ron DeSantis, who have created cultures of lies, disinformation and trying to hide reality from people. I am sure there have been a lot of people being counted as heart disease or diabetes deaths who died because they were infected.

maumann likes this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

maumann likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

messaging

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Scary thread. Texas is bad, and likely far worse then the stats say.

Draft saved Draft deleted