1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I couldn’t remember the other two Oiler coaches names, I just remembered Lemm because he went undefeated as coach before quitting.

does Saban hold the record for most teams (Pro and college) as a head coach? Off the top of my head he had Boston, Denver, Buffalo, Case Tech, Northwestern, Chowan, Western Illinois, Miami, SUNY-Canton, and i know there are other DI stops.

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Saban was also he head coach at Maryland, Central Florida and Army. I knew two of the three and found out about Central Florida from Wikipedia.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Eddie Edelhatz in Oakland. He coached two games into 1961. Lou Saban in Boston and Lou Rykmus (coming off a championship) coached five games into the 1961 season before they got fired.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My source, the AFL oral history book "Going Long," said Saban. But it also has EE being fired after Week 2 of 1961. So you are correct. I guess that's why books have fact-checkers. That book also had the Bills bunking at the "Raycraft Inn" in my hometown wheir first couple years, when they trained at Seymour and Norty Knox's polo fields. It's the Roycroft Inn.

5. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Here’s obscure, stolen off the radio today.

Top 5 points scorers in the expansion era NHL who were a) undrafted and b) never won a Cup

Liut likes this.
  6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

My first guess would be Peter Stastny

Liut likes this.
  7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Adam Oates would be one.
    Maybe Steve Thomas.

8. Tighthead

3/5

Liut likes this.
  9. cyclingwriter2

I have the same book. The chapter goes on and on about firing the oilers rymkus then shifts to Saban being fired first.

10. cyclingwriter2

Will add Dino Ciccarelli because I know he was undrafted, but can’t remember if he squeezed in a Stanley cup late in his career.

11. Tighthead

4/5

The missing one was last on radio as well. I’ll see if I can come up with a hint that isn’t too obvious.

12. cyclingwriter2

Borje Salming wasn’t drafted, had no cups and finished with about 800 points. I’m assuming the fifth likely scored more than that?

Draft saved Draft deleted