1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Stumped on this one. Not Pippen, because he was NAIA. I don’t think Terry Porter was an all star.

2. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Zac Bierk because I just looked it up the other day.

Speaking of Rush, Geddy grew up with HoFer Steve Shutt. They went and bought basses after going to a concert together when they were about 13. When the Habs and Rush were in the same orbit Shutt, Robinson and others would go hang around backstage. I think there are concert pics with one member of Rush wearing a Habs sweater.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Bierk is correct. I see Bach a lot on a countdown show I enjoy on AXS TV.

4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I knew Lee went to school with Rick Moranis, but didn’t know the Shutt story. Just read where he says he and Geddy bought bass guitars around the same time, but he quit because Geddy was so much better.

Tighthead likes this.
  5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Randy Smith of Buffalo State was the only NBA ASG MVP from a Division III program.

Webster likes this.
  6. micropolitan guy

Not the answer you're looking for, but Eddie Cicotte led the AL in wins in 1917, the AL in losses in 1918, and then in wins in 1919.

Sebastian Bach is also on Trailer Park Boys quite frequently.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Every time an announcer or analyst mentioned Randy Smith, they were required to say how fast he was.

Liut likes this.
  8. cyclingwriter2

Da ma got robin roberts. Others were Hal Newhouser, who led in wins three straight years, losses and then came back for another wins title, and LaMart Hoyt, who had him self an odd little career. Signed out of high school by the Yankees, he went 15-8 with a 2.50 era at age 21 in AA. Was part of the Gamble/Dent trade in the off-season and the white Sox proceeded to screw him up. He pitched badly between AA and AAA in 1977. White Sox send him back to A the next year and he dominates because he is now 23 and pitching against teens. They move him back to AA the next season as a relief pitcher and he makes the majors at the end of the year. Starts 1980 in the AAA bullpen, but ends the year as a spot starter/swingman in the Majors. In 1981, he is their top relief pitcher. Starts 1982 in the pen, but gets moved to the rotation where he wins his first nine decisions and ends up leading the league with 19 wins. Wins the Cy Young the following year while winning 24. Slumps in 1984 to 18 losses, but gets traded to San Diego where he starts the all star game and is named MVP. However, his drug problems hit the next year and he is done at age 31.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

"My name is Dewey LaMarr Hoyt. I throw 130 pitches a game and 110 of them are always on the black."

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  10. micropolitan guy

Who was the first AFL coach to be fired?

11. cyclingwriter2

I know Lou Saban got replaced real early by Mike Holovak, but can’t remember if that was in 1960 or 1961. Will go with him, but I also know the oilers fired their coach (Wally Lemm?)?around the same time.

12. micropolitan guy

Yes, Lou Saban, after week 4 or 5 with the 1961 Pats. The Oilers fired their coach (Lou Rymkus) the same week and hired Wally Lemm.

Lemm led them to the AFL title, then left to coach the NFL's St. Louis Cardinals. The guy the Cardinals had fired, Pop Ivey, went to the Oilers and led them to the 1962 title game, which they lost to Dallas in 2 OT.

The Oilers had three head coaches their first three years and each one led them to the AFL title game. And Dallas moved to Kansas City shortly after winning the 1962 AFL title.

Draft saved Draft deleted