1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LAT sports columnist placed on leave

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

That's a good column.

I didnt read Markazi after he got to the LA Times, but I used to follow him on Twitter. I liked his stuff. It's too bad to hear what's happened.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It's the subject matter. Many people can relate to it.

The maddening, even upsetting, thing about his current situation is that, journalists caught up in such accusations usually end up there as a result of laziness, arrogance and/or a lack of restraint and callous disregard and disrespect -- unlikely characteristics found in someone who has beaten cancer or lost more than 100 pounds. Let alone someone who has done both.

3. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

4. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I don't know about quietly. Don't know what system they are on, but most CMS I've used have ways to change/update stories without the timestamp changing, showing when the changes were made. Including WordPress.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I bet this was done by some suit who spends all day in meetings and uses the CMS once a month. /Fredrick

Your point is valid. Either they farmed out the task to a youngun who is still learning the system or an editor did it intentionally. Most CMS also make it possible to manipulate timestamps if you play around, so it’s telling if it was left that way.

MileHigh likes this.
  7. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Many are set to display in descending order of post time so I can see why you wouldn’t start changing timestamps on old updated stories lest a 2015 column winds up bumping your lead news story

MileHigh likes this.
  8. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

So did the LAT decide to cut him loose or keep him? Anyone know?

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

He’s gone

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

12. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted