1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Indulgence?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Aug 5, 2020.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I blame my mom for my love of shoes, especially sneakers. She came from nothing in China as a girl of 14 but if you looked at her walk-in closet you'd see some beautiful shoes, many in multiple pairs. Given her (and my dad's) hard work (they are now in their 80s), I would never begrudge her/them anything and never say anything about her love of them other than recently saying "why do you love shoes so much? because I blame you mom." Jokingly, not judgmental of course. Now when I was a kid, I was more likely to get new school clothes for my bday than any toys from my mom; she just thought that was more important when $$ was tight.

I just enjoy them. I'm never content with just one pair for everything or even a certain situation. I try to keep them at a minimum but I get multiple pairs for certain events, e.g. 5 pairs of work dress shoes, three sneakers for casual work, two pairs of casual high tops for lounging, and now 4 pairs for work during COVID (with shorts). I just binged on two new pairs of golf shoes because Nike came out with some tie dye colorway for the SF PGA Championship week. (as a child of 60/70's I get all nostalgic when I see the tie dye look.)

Thankfully its only shoes and I didn't buy a new Porsche for my mid life crises.

Please share so I can tell my wife about others who have a similar affliction. :)

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I have more shoes than any 10 men should.

swingline and qtlaw like this.
  3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Why do you like them so much?

4. Moderator1

Hard to explain, I just do. I like shoes that stand out for whatever reason. I have your basic loafers, dress shoes, etc. But I also have a lot of two-tone shoes. A black and white pair that I wear with my tux (and most of my suits) that I just love. I have a pair of plaid shoes, a pair of red, white and blue shoes.

One of the things my crew gave me when I left the SE job in Richmond was a very large gift card to my favorite shoe store in New York.

www.fluevog.com

5. Moderator1

Working from home, which I was doing before the pandemic hit, has cut down on my shoe usage. I basically wear flops and walking shoes these days.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

To keep the shoe theme going, I'm a complete golf shoe nut. I don't hoard extra putters or headcovers or collectibles like many golf junkies, but I love the shoes. I wear spikeless shoes as everyday sneakers, since the styles are almost the same nowadays. On the course I'll use spiked shoes, rotating 2-3 pairs while having several new pair in the closet. And I only play once a week on average, so it's completely ridiculous. But you said indulgence ...

qtlaw likes this.
  7. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Books

OscarMadison, Driftwood and garrow like this.
  8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Mine too. Although I love a good robe.

[​IMG]

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I love a pint glass. I donated a big part of my collection when I downsized a few years back, but they are cheap, useful and usually come with a reminder of a trip or a some other good memory. Always imagined at some point I'd use them at the pub I open in my dreamlife.

Driftwood, Chef2 and TigerVols like this.
  10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I love good government pot.

I have a big library, books going back to the 1800s.

I also like dogs, cats and a beer that sweats its ass off on a hot August night.

Chef2 likes this.
  11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I was a sneaker head as a young man. For work shoes, I go fairly conservative but my causal shoe game is definitely colorful and wild. That and blazers with crazy lining is my thing

12. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

LEGO sets. I have kids, but I enjoy building them as much as they do. My daughter is 15 and growing out of them, but she has probably 40 some sets that she has turned into a village that takes up four six-foot tables in the basement. There are some three story city sets in there, a large boat, a theme park, and god knows what else.

my son is almost five and is chomping at the bit to get at his sisters menagerie. He is already a kit basher where he will combine vehicles, sets, animals what have you into new creations. He has a creator dinosaur that he can reverse engineer with little difficulty.

My sisters took all of my childhood LEGO bricks for their own kids decades ago, but I have purchased and gotten some cool Star Wars sets in the last few years. I keep them in my office, which my son enjoys when he visits. I also found a box of random pieces my daughter had left when she was little and he starts building while I work.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    OscarMadison, garrow and playthrough like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted