1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose open-wheel (F1, IRL) racing thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by crimsonace, Feb 19, 2007.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Your Indianapolis 500 Mile Race experience is not complete without running afoul of several elderly white men who love their whistles and limited power. It's the opposte of a Walmart greeter.

playthrough and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Sergio Perez tests positive for the Rona. Racing Point needs a new driver this weekend at Silverstone.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's funny, immediately after the announcement everybody seemed to think it would be Esteban Gutierrez. That shifted to Hulkenberg pretty quickly.

If you're Racing Point Hulk over Gutierrez is a no-brainer.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Lots of chatter on Twitter about an announcement from IMS this afternoon. Sounds like they're going to push the 500 back amid all the blowback over large gatherings.

I'd not be surprised if it gets cancelled. Things are going to be worse, not better, in October.

7. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

They have now said no fans!

8. 2muchcoffeeman

Nope, they’re running without fans.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Why the fuck run it?

I mean, I know the answer to that, but FFS just pull the plug on it for 2020. You're just telling your true fans that you really don't matter in the scheme of things.

10. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Many sports are taking place without fans, including MLB.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I think it's pretty bad to have it without fans too, but like everything else it's still a money play. What little money IndyCar makes from TV is all tied to the 500, and the teams need it to give their sponsors some kind of value in a lost season.

I'm surprised IMS didn't take the October option months ago. Even though things may not be better then, at least they would have bought time to see how the wind blows. They landed on the right answer for August but they were just so defiant for weeks that they could pull it off when anyone with a brain could see it was a bad idea. It was obnoxious.

maumann likes this.
  12. 2muchcoffeeman

They’re running it because track sponsors and those teams’ sponsors won’t pay if they’re not on the Indy 500 broadcast. That’s a big hole in the budget to try to fill.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted