1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State football beat reporter | Centre Daily Times (State College, PA)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MiamiBoy, Jul 5, 2020.

1. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Not those kind of offensive terms ... :D

RonClements likes this.
  2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think that a college journalism major who wants to work for Barstool is demonstrating a clear understanding of the harsh economic realities confronting newspapers.

3. Alec Hamilton

Alec Hamilton New Member

Yes well I think the problem with Barstool isn't that they aren't a newspaper . . .

4. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

If you're going to college for journalism and want to work for Barstool, you're doing it wrong.

Granted, my knowledge of the company is lacking (I've only paid attention to the Pardon My Take crew), but I don't know of anyone there having an any journalism background.

RonClements likes this.
  5. LanceyHoward

Let's say you are a rising sophomore majoring in journalism. There are currently about 1,200 dailies in the U.S. How many of those papers will even exist in two years. How many will just be ghosts attached to another paper.

And with revenues down 25-30% if high school sports are canceled this fall (already happening) how many papers will just fire the high school sports writers. And then not bother to restart coverage to save salary even if the paper survives?

6. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Uh... yeah? Doesn't change that (to my admittedly limited college of the company) Barstool has few employees with any formal journalism education, let alone working experience. What they have a lot of are people who went to college for business or IT or something and created a comedic voice on their own, then attracted a social media following and wound up at Barstool for their entertainment value. How does learning the art of the inverted pyramid help that?

Once those newspaper jobs disappear, is Barstool going to create replacement jobs? Are they going to start covering high school sports?

7. LanceyHoward

At least Barstool will have a few jobs. When the papers fold high school sports will not be covered. I do not think that will be a good thing.

8. Adam94

Adam94 Member

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Not to rip this kid, but it should not be a first job out of college.

It used to be a pretty competitive beat, but of course I’m still stuck in 2005 or so in the way I think so I’m probably wrong.

RonClements likes this.
  10. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Hire young; hire cheap. One used to have to work their way up to a Division I Big Ten beat job.

Writer and SportsGuyBCK like this.
  11. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

According to his Twitter bio, he's done work for the Houston Chronicle and and Denver Post, likely via internships.

Again, experience does not equate to talent.

12. Larry Graham

Larry Graham Member

His twitter profile? That's what you're pinning your opinion of the kid on?

GTFOH with that BS.
    Scrub.

You're obviously quite the reporter to imply someone doesn't have the talent for their job after you did the arduous undertaking of researching their twitter profile.

tonygunk likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted