1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Between the looming cable tv money bubble on the horizon and COVID, college sports will look much different once it comes fully back on-line. There will be a massive rollback in spending and quite possibly more extensive revenue sharing. How many FCS schools and G5 schools throw in the towel in the coming months with an eye toward possibly restarting the program down the road? When times were "good" they were spending more than what was coming in. Hard to justify the expense if now the income slows to a trickle (not to mention the increased costs of COVID protocols).

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Not enough strip clubs there.

HanSenSE and maumann like this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Golf and auto racing (not counting pit crews) are individual sports where they have to play to get paid. PGA Tour and NASCAR have TV contracts with guaranteed money, so as long as they can provide represenatative fields, they're able to shuffle tournaments and race dates. IndyCar, on the other hand, needs spectators because NBC doesn't pay for anything other than the 500, which is apparently why Mid-Ohio just got pushed back.

The Indianapolis 500 is three weeks away. The Speedway has worked hard to somehow pull the race off with a Brickyard 400-sized crowd, but I still wouldn't go if someone offered me a ticket.

I think the NHL has a good chance to complete the season. They've got the built-in advantage of being in Canada. And they're hockey players. They'll just stitch it up and play.

The NBA? I don't see how the bubble doesn't burst at some point, although they've had a pretty good handle on it for now. I don't know enough about MLS to opine on it.

Baseball is just a precursor to what's not going to happen in the fall.

And yes, I hate sports. But you all knew that. I'm only here because it's 15 minutes to Tahoe and newbies fetch the beers. No, I wasn't good in The Client. And there's no chance my obit makes 1A.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    SFIND, swingline, garrow and 8 others like this.
  4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Especially today. Sunday obit page AND page A1 are already long gone.

You'd better hang on until Monday! ;)

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

That is a very good point! :)

Baron Scicluna, SFIND, garrow and 7 others like this.
  6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Desperate for content, FS2 is currently showing RollerGames from 1989.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Maybe they should rebrand it as … I dunno, bear with me here … an all-motorsports channel.

Batman, maumann and HanSenSE like this.
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Speed Channel would be a good name for it.

garrow and maumann like this.
  9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Or maybe Speedvision.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

this seems to have hardened into right wing canon

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You can't spell "Wolken" without "Woke"

2muchcoffeeman likes this.