1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Thanks. I have confused my Trump klansmen.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Just for shits and giggles . . . give me a number.

Hillary Clinton is 93 days away from what she hopes is re-election.

How many COVID-19 deaths does the US have on Aug. 1?

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Now do number of deaths.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oh for God’s sake. What does the dipshit’s flailing have to do with Herself? If you say, well advisedly, “That’s not how you should look at those numbers,” any response along the lines of “Are you OK with thus-and-such ...” should be left there to fester to that respondent’s shame.

SFIND and Spartan Squad like this.
  5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Define "wide open."

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Something waaaaaay the hell more “open” than this. I’m not complaining about the restrictions, mind you, but saying Texas is “wide open” is ridiculous.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yeah, let’s open the schools.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I'll ask you the same question: What is a good metric for determining the extent of the problem?

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Reminds me it's been two weeks since the Chris Wallace interview when he promised he'd have a major announcement on health care in two weeks.

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

And what if the Easter Bunny was running the country. Does as much good for us now as playing the what-if game with Hillary.

But for shits and giggles—because clearly this is just us hating on Trump—what would Hillary do? Would we have more deaths because Dear Leader wasn't here to save us? Well, Hillary wouldn't have a hard on for erasing everything Obama ever did. Hillary wouldn't have pretended nothing was wrong. Hillary would have had a coordinated national strategy, because—you know—she isn't a dipshit. She would have had scientists telling us information to help us because, again, the lack of being a dipshit. She might have nationalized efforts to get more testing sooner. I know you would be a big fan of that because it's all you harp on whenever we talk about what an abject failure Dear Leader has been and why more people need to take this seriously. Hell, Bush would have done a better job with this and he fucked up the Katrina response. But keep throwing your whatabouts around.

So how do we measure the seriousness of what is going on now? OK we can't do a 1-to-1 comparison with late March-early April case numbers, but how can we effectively say the stuff that is going on in July is bad? How about May numbers were trending down, then we saw them rocket upward? Does that work? After a dramatic rise in cases in June—which have both mild and asymptomatic cases (BTW, can I say how impressive it is that you talk out of both sides of your mouth on this? First we can't trust numbers because we didn't have enough testing. Now we can't trust numbers because we are testing too much and catching more. Impressive how you try to have it both ways)—we started seeing more people go to the hospital in July and now we're seeing a spike in deaths. Does that work? What metric will allow us to all agree that things are bad? When can we say that allowing people to congregate in bars and restaurants and other places like that was not a good idea? Yeah, I'll let you keep your haircuts because I know how much you care about those. But there were things that people did because people wanted to go do shit again and we are seeing the consequences.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    SFIND, Inky_Wretch, swingline and 8 others like this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Texas is open for business - Greg Abbott

The message is clear.

On the same day Gov. Hassan vetoed a bill protecting business startups from added taxes that threaten job creation in New Hampshire, the Wall Street Journal wrote this about the business-friendly and resilient economy in the Lone Star State: “Texas is mainly in the business of wealth creation, not redistribution.” While other states are increasing taxes, we are lowering taxes.

In Texas, we have no personal income tax and no corporate income tax, and we just slashed the business franchise tax by 25 percent.

We are keeping our state strong and prosperous with an overall budget below the state’s spending limit, while investing in our roads and elevating our universities to make Texas an even better destination for businesses.

If you’re looking for the chance to thrive in an economic environment free of overregulation and overtaxation, I invite you to come see how we can help you grow.

Plan your visit at texaswideopenforbusiness.com or by calling me at (512) 936-0100.

Texas is wide open for business.

Gov. GREG ABBOTT

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted