1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The most recent update has it two miles per hour away from no longer being a hurricane. That's a plus.
    My wife just got home from the beach*, and she said it's already getting extremely windy and the water rough on the NC coast.

*My students always freak out about the number of times she and I go to the beach by ourselves. We made a commitment from the start that if one person has time off and the other has to be at work, no way in heck are we going to hold each other back from spending time there. The kids think if their significant other is out of their sight, they must be up to something inappropriate. I just laugh. Would I go fishing without my wife? Without a second thought. Would either one of us drink all the beer when the other was away? Hell yeah. Twice. Otherwise? Life is good.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

This is so … so … so … well, “sad” is not the word I’m looking for.

maumann likes this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

From the NHS discussion at 11 a.m. ET:

"The global and regional models have come into much better agreement compared to 24 hours ago in taking Isaias northwestward slowly for the next 36 h or so, and moving the center near or keeping it just offshore the east-central Florida coast. By 48 hours, the hurricane is expected to turn northward around the western portion of the Bermuda-Azores ridge that will slowly be eroded by an approaching mid-level shortwave trough currently situated over the central United States."

The max sustained winds are not expected to exceed 80 mph over the next 36 hours.

Good. I'm rooting for the mid-level shortwave trough in this one. Hurricanes suck.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    SFIND likes this.
  4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Positive thoughts and best wishes to all the Florida/Atlantic seaboard posters on here.

I'm not sure how you Sunshine State folks do it, between the hurricane season, mega humidity and giant insects. (Not to mention a few nutty Floridians!)

Well, I suppose when I'm shoveling and driving in snow for 3-4 months of the year, slipping and falling on my ass due to ice on my driveway, you're enjoying the good season in Florida. Everywhere has its plusses and minuses.

5. maumann

My favorite time of the year in Florida is when the "natives" break out the ski jackets and toques when the temperature drops below 70. I was in Coral Gables the week before Thanksgiving for the NASCAR Homestead finale some time ago, and everybody in the Denny's that morning was talking about "the cold snap." I was in shorts because it was 66!

Now, having said that, I had only a windbreaker on when Challenger imploded on Jan. 28, 1986, and I was FREEZING. When the wind blows off the ocean and meets a cold front, 50 degrees feels damn cold -- and it was below freezing overnight. (My winter clothes were still in a box in California, waiting to be shipped.)

And Daytona in February is truly hit or miss. I've had nice weather and I've been drinking hot coffee to stay warm.

6. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I love the raw, wet, windy beauty of hurricanes, though I would never wish harm to anyone because of it

7. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

It was quite breezy around 9 am for maybe 1/2 hour, then a normal summer day in Wellington until around 4:00, when the breeze kicked up again. The first real rain squall just came through. I’m not expecting much of anything here. I did pick up more diet cokes yesterday because I am hoarding diet cokes, not because of Isaias. I ate my hurricane chips and cookies for lunch.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

pfffffft

maumann likes this.
  9. maumann

Somewhere in the Eastern Atlantic, a psychiatrist just paid for his new yacht.

(Sorry. I'll see myself out.)

10. Driftwood

I remember one time heading out to Belle Glade to go fishing. It was 65-70. I was wearing shorts and a long sleeve t-shirt. The weather couldn't have been more perfect. A couple of the natives were putting on thermal shirts and flannel. I said, "What the hell's wrong with you people?"

By the same token, I left Fla. in Dec. of '89 wearing jeans and a t-shirt as comfortable as can be, and when I got off the plane in the Tennessee mountains, it was in the 20s with several inches of snow on the ground. It was sort of like the scene in Cool Runnings.

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  11. maumann

I was allowed to cover N.C. State's bowl game (the Micron PC Bowl?) at Dolphin Stadium back when, as long as I drove my own car. I left an ice storm in Rocky Mount for 72 degrees in south Florida. When I headed back north, I put on shorts thinking I'd change at some point, but it was 39 degrees in Savannah when I got out of the car at the hotel.

The lady behind the counter saw my outfit and said, "I don't know where you've been but I really wish I was there now."

Me, too, lady.

2muchcoffeeman and Driftwood like this.
  12. Driftwood

One thing this thread has taught me...
    I've talked about spending time in Pembroke, NC and Belle Glade, Fla. I seem to wind up in some sketchy places.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Draft saved Draft deleted