1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 MLB Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Jul 24, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I'm going to guess they have to.
    What's going to be funny is when teams in arbitration say, "Yeah, but you only hit eight homers this year. That's a 231% decrease from last year."

2. tapintoamerica

That's actually a big deal because it's telling. Diaz is a 24-year-old Puerto Rican infielder who logged through several minor league seasons before getting a shot last year. He probably banked a nice signing bonus as a second-round draftee in 2014, but he hasn't even played a full MLB season yet. So his lifetime earnings since the signing bonus are probably negligible. The definition of a fringe player. And he's out.

Re: Cardinals, I think only one of the four positive tests announced today was from a player.

3. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Boy, oh boy, does this sport have a history of having some really terrible commissionaires.

4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I'm trying to name one good one. Giamatti might have been a great one had he not died. He seemed to be the only one who actually loved the game instead of the money it brought in.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This is very presidential.

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Fay Vincent at least wasn’t afraid to call the owners a bunch of entitled asshats.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The timing of Diaz's decision makes a little more sense now that the Marlins are reportedly going to start playing again Tuesday. He was facing the prospect of going back to sharing a locker room, transportation and the field with teammates who may have been exposed to the many other teammates who tested positive.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

10. tapintoamerica

I thought young people didn’t have any problems with this thing.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"But it's just the flu..."

12. tapintoamerica

Trumpist thought progression:
    1) It’s the flu.
    2) It’s not as dangerous as driving.
    3) Testing is overrated.
    4) Positive test % is not a good indicator of the magnitude of the virus.
    5) Only old people get sick, and they deserve to die.

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted