1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cancel Culture and the Free Speech Argument

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Azrael, Aug 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

This will end well.

4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Interesting food for thought. And I have previously read the response to the Harper 150, who I largely thought were full of it.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

What makes it good? What makes it smart?

And, yes, I read the piece. Fairbanks obliquely refers to some third group that has concerns for cancel culture, but simultaneously sees a need for new voices. She says she has a problem with the way free speech has been wielded on the left as a silencing tool, but doesn't unpack any of those examples.

Perhaps a distinction I haven't made about what troubles me is this: When unions attempt internal purges of co-workers or bosses because of political views, and/or leak these exposes to other news media, yeah, I *generally* think it's a little strange and a little shitty. Activists shaming sponsors of Tucker Carlson? Meh. That's the definition of free speech - voting with one's wallet, if you will.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"Obliquely?"

c'mon

It's a good essay insofar as it suggests that opposing poles aren't the only positions possible in this debate over "cancel culture."

And I didn't say it was smart. I said it's a smart place from which to continue the debate. And it is.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Why?

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

because it isn't locked forever into some self-victimizing state of paralyzing ideological paranoia?

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

yes but who wrote the piece

the media

tapintoamerica likes this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.