1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I know Goodman left THR, but where he is now, I don't know. His descriptions of the upfronts, aka Death March With Cocktails, were always interesting.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Damn right! Preach!

Wenders likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Checked his twitter feed - he's an adjunct professor at California Academy of the Arts or something. He and DeMoraes were always hilarious mocking various show runners and network heads during the upfronts. He also was quite spot on when it came to finding under the radar shows that deserved more attention like Orphan Black. Also discussing how network schedules are determined as much or more due to business considerations than artistic merit. Who has a deal with a network, does the network own a chunk of the show, what producers are being paid ridiculous sums so you may as well slot whatever garbage they came up with in a certain year behind the hit show that landed them the ridiculous contract.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

You were right that the show really took off when Lucifer's mom arrived at the start of Season 2. Naive but smart, and incredibly beautiful. I also enjoyed the cameo of Lindsey Gort as a fake wife of Lucifer. I like her regular role on "All Rise" as a super-smart attorney. Mais looks like Halle Berry's younger sister.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who thinks that Schitt’s Creek is just ok?

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

How much have you watched? I initially only watched a couple first season episodes and wasn't too impressed, but much like The Office and Parks and Rec, I think it makes a real leap when it gets past the most cliched aspects of the premise.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I watched the first four episodes and wondered why people think it is such a great show. Stupid, not funny, annoying.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I watched the first season and thought it was fine. Just nowhere near award worthy.

9. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Yes

TigerVols likes this.
  10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I dunno if it’s because I needed some COVID-era comfort viewing, but I can say my entertainment highlight of the past few years has been these three months I’ve spent hanging out with My-rah, Dayveed, Alexis, the Jazzygals and especially deadpan Stevie.

Wenders likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It started out very Arrested Development-ish became more Northern Exposure. And I have no problem seeing Levy, O'hara et. all get much deserved props - if not for this, than for tremendous careers. But there are funnier shows out there.

12. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

The later seasons are way better.

Draft saved Draft deleted