1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Herman Cain

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They keep them around for a while to do their shuck and jive dance for the cameras, but as soon as their usefulness starts dribbling away, they dig up some scandal or brewing disaster to hang on their asses as scapegoats.

See Condi/Colin and the Iraq war fiasco.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was thinking Michael Steele and JC Watts. Sen. Tim Scott, I must say, is breaking the mold to a large degree. I don't agree with most of his positions, but I respect that he doesn't always toe the party line (very rare for a first term Senator in a safe R state). He'd be a great replacement for McConnell as an R leader.

maumann likes this.
  3. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Colin Powell rejecting the party’s push to run for president was in my imagination?

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Bill Kristol is an example of a rock-ribbed conservative they have treated shabbily.

It's not whether I like the guy or not, but he was an ideas guy for the party for quite a while.

Can you name one respected public intellectual among the Trump wing of the GOP?

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He had stage 4 colon cancer diagnosed in 2006. He had stated that cancer was not an impediment to his serving as president when he ran in 2016. He was not undergoing treatment for cancer at the time he attended the Tulsa trump fiasco. Colon cancer doesn’t shut your lungs down unless the cancer has metastasized there long before June, 2020 and there is nothing To suggest it had

saying his death now is rated to cancer is a diversionary rhetorical device

exmediahack, SFIND and maumann like this.
  6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I can’t think of a single GOP member of Congress who is an active voice in terms of increased voting access or reduced gerrymandering. It is a party about keeping their power, nothing else.

cyclingwriter2 and TowelWaver like this.
  7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Chachi?

8. heyabbott

Steve Bannon Stephen Miller and Charles Koch are what passes for right wing intellectuals these days.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

When was there any big GOP push to run Colin for president??

He was mentioned a couple times in the early pre-primary stages, but was never even a top-5 contender in any particular campaign.

10. heyabbott

Powell is mentioned as the token. Condi Rice. They were about as serious at Martin O’Malley was for the Democrats

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Haha, yeah, that was as serious as Emmitt Thomas getting token job interviews nearly every year, while guys like Dick Jauron got the jobs.

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

You’re white. They are all about keeping status quo.

Oh, I meant right.

Draft saved Draft deleted