1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin editor quits, blasts G/O management

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Regan MacNeil, Aug 16, 2019.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think we can all agree that G/O Media really timed this "stick to sports" initiative perfectly, though.

wicked likes this.
  2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Count me in.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

The Defecator's "deep diving oral histories" probably will be weirder, so yeah, costs more for parking lot ass-eating videos and gallons of bleach for their eyes.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

There are many jokes that I am mulling in my head, but to be honest, a group of writers raising around $1 million in a single day is a good thing, no matter what you think of the content. David Roth has written smarter stuff about Trump than literally anyone who has penned anything in the Times Op/Ed pages the last three years, so I am rooting for their success.

2muchcoffeeman and matt_garth like this.
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That's the first story I would want to read by them, How to Ask for One Million Dollars ... without the pretenses or fuckery.

PaperDoll and tapintoamerica like this.
  6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

In their defense, is there a better time to do this?

I didn't know anything about Defector until I saw it here, then Googled and saw it has had stories in the NYT, WaPo, USA Today, Slate, Boston Globe and more. The establishment media loves it some anti-establishment media.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, anti-establishment progressive media.

Again, hope it goes well, root for it. Once Trump's out of office, and he will be soon, it may be a little harder to drum up the nihilistic rage, but I imagine they'll find a way.

TigerVols likes this.
  8. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

At least there will only be one brief "Why We're Joining The Defector" post. (Cause we all quit in a huff)

2muchcoffeeman and Songbird like this.
  9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

This is a tired genre of writing.

Magary's affected wrath isn't worth a hill of beans right now.

10. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

The Defector got 10,000 subscribers in its first day. So... it's tired, yes, but there are plenty of people who'll pay to read it.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

How many of those 10K are bots?

12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Bots paying money? That would be interesting to see.

PaperClip529 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted