1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And, the feds blink first.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yes, but Trump being a hypocrite is no surprise. We've known that for years and he'll be voted out in part because of it. The disdain for his voters is due in part to their willingness to be for whatever Trump is for, regardless of how it violates principles they held before Trump. That's the very definition of situational ethics.

So, obviously, what's been going on Portland for 60 days can't stand for another 60 days. I have little doubt that the federal troops exacerbated tensions, but the protests/riots predated, by 6 weeks, their arrival.

One reason I look forward to Trump's defeat and departure is perhaps the American people can return to some appreciation of responsibility for their own thoughts, words and deeds. So long as Trump's there, the "yay, chaos, yay!" vibe is a little strong, and a little insincere from people who wouldn't tolerate 12 seconds of chaos in their own neighborhoods.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's Kate Brown's problem again. Of course, it isn't - she won't do anything - but, ostensibly, she won't have the feds to kick around anymore. (Of course, she will kick the feds around plenty, including and especially when they're not there.)

4. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Yup. This is when you convene an emergency meeting of the police board and fire him for cause. The public can’t have faith in him, or the department if he continues to serve.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I knew he'd finally get around to violating the Third Amendment.

heyabbott likes this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Just like Trump: Show up, make things worse, expect others to clean it up, blame them for not cleaning it up fast enough, use Trumpists to make his point.

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I like seeing people - me, others, whomever - succeed and solve problems, make progress. Maybe, after he's out, we'll get that.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

How very true. I mean I did just get my Democratic Party talking notes this morning and they reiterated that all problems with this country need to continue because we need to stick it to Trump! I mean, we all want to see these problems get solved, but we don't want Trump to look good, so we're just going to put off things like policing and bringing teachers back just to stick it to everyone because that is exactly how petty everyone who hates Trump can be!

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I am curious to see how much 911 operators have to do with police response. You hear and read about some innocuous incident that led police to respond with multiple calls - and wonder what they hear on the radio communicates that this is a black person. Some of these calls that end up in the deaths of black people I'm surprised police even have the time to respond to.

Draft saved Draft deleted