1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by nietsroob17, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But AEW also has a wrestling competitor on its night while Smackdown does not.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If you have a half hour or so, this is a fun watch. It’s a documentary about Paul Boesch’s Houston territory in 1972. You see how nuts the fans got back then, and you see a lot of stars from those days. My favorite part are the two promos for Stan Stasiak’s heart punch.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Oh wow this sent me down a rabbit hole watching great clips from All-Star Wrestling in Vancouver from the 1970s which I watched a lot as a kid

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

So I read Kevin Dunn hates the giant gym ceiling fans and put a virtual ceiling on extreme rules and smackdown..... I see the giant fans on raw.... wondering if this means this raw is live or filmed to tape very recently or if it makes any difference

5. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Raw was reportedly taped last week, and was the last date for Kairi Sane, who is returning to Japan. I think the Bayley attack was the write-off (though I think Shayna would've been better and more convincing).

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Matt Hardy is apparently retiring the “Broken” gimmick he got saddled with in TNA.

Finally.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Saddled with? It was pretty much the only time he was an upper card guy. On TNA, but still. There's an argument that WWE fucked up by bringing him and Jeff in under the 1990s-ish Hardy Boyz gimmick, instead of just having him as Broken Matt Hardy right away.

8. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

TNA wouldn't let him. They claimed the rights to the Broken gimmick. Shortly after Anthem took over, they released the rights of the Broken gimmick to Hardy.

9. JimmyHoward33

Kairi Sane is freakin awesome. So good in NXT, certainly the highlight of her time in the states, a staple of the first Evolution ppv. You could say the main roster wasn’t quite as strong but the team with Asuska....really good too.

i didn’t love that match ending, mainly because Kairi and Bayley were fighting fair and square, presumably the entire time after fighting to the back at the start. So it wasn’t very heelish of Bayley and Sasha, Asuska didn’t really need to bail out her friend in a fair fight....

however if thats what the 2 of them came up with and she wanted to go out then good on ‘em. Agree Shayna would’ve been better (and tied a bow from their nxt feud) but oh well.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Besides what Gutter said, their surprise return as a tag team at Wrestlemania got a huge pop and was a highlight of that PPV.

11. JimmyHoward33

and they were in a ladder match with the Bucks the night before. Given the new climate with aew probably the last true surprise ship-jump we’ll see for a long long time

12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Didn't Matt Hardy come up with the Broken gimmick himself? Am I remembering that wrong?

Draft saved Draft deleted