1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin editor quits, blasts G/O management

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Regan MacNeil, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

With the shit at Barstool and Deadspin, there is an opportunity for an upstart to take over.

2. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I'm very, very curious to see how Defector stays afloat the first year or so. Regardless, it's a relief to see people take back control of their publication and not let the suits drive decisions just to enrich themselves at the expense of the staff.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I Imagine some rich person give them a bunch of money to tell everybody they can go fuck themselves. That’s more or less the content I’d expect out of Defector. Just one big long, nihilistic bong hit of FU.

wicked likes this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I subscribed. Magary and Ratto are worth $8 a month to me.

matt_garth and playthrough like this.
  5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

They picked a curious time for this foray, not that these people haven't always been about themselves.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Deadspin 5.2

I wish them well.

But the Diaper Bank of Coahoma County, Mississippi needs that $96.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    Double Down likes this.
  7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I figured that was the case. No way they just decided to come together build this thing from scratch, without the help of big money. I'm sure they were careful who to take money from.

8. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Fuck it. I'm in for a year subscription. Magary is a good read and we'll see how it goes.

9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

As Cracker sang: What the world needs now is another Deadspin like I need a hole in my head.

tapintoamerica and Screwball like this.
  10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

One of the first stories should be an updated 'spin on Manti Te'o i.e. what it means now, what it meant in the moment, what if any regrets etc etc.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It costs more than The Athletic.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Who wants to pay $8 each month to read an antiestablishment website? You can get that for free lots of places.

Draft saved Draft deleted