1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Watched it last night as well and the highlander popped in my head several times throughout. Mostly wondering if they could “regenerate” a hand, arm or head if needed. I also wondered that if there was an evil version of the group or what would happen if one went “bad” immediately.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I read the source material online today. I highly recommend it. There are two five-issue limited series with a third and final installment in the ranks. The second series has commentary by the author. I really enjoyed reading about his process. In the comic, yes, the characters can regenerate a lost limb, but that doesn't mean it can work the same way in the movies. This is a relatively new book. The first miniseries was published in 2017. The second one came out this year. In fact, Rucka wrote about the upcoming movie in the commentary at the end of one of the issues, specifically how excited he was to see real people inheriting the characters, especially Theron as Andy.

The movie does hint at a potential antagonist with their abilities, especially the scene at the end. I don't want to write any more for fear of spoilers. I will say that the first movie mostly followed the first limited series, with a few story beats taken from the second one, but it has one huge change.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  3. cyclingwriter2

Not giving away spoilers or saying I’m smart, but I did nudge my wife at one point and said, “there’s the bad guy in the sequel.” I felt vindicated somewhat at the end.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I had the same thought and I'd be willing to bet I had it at the same moment.

Some might see that as the story being predictable, but I think it is a credit to Rucka's writing. He lays the groundwork for things that happen rather than having characters do something that comes out of nowhere.

What I really found interesting was the changes made from the comic to the movie given that Rucka wrote both. There is one huge change with Andy and it makes me wonder why he made that choice.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Aquaman - meh
    Captain Marvel - Very strong - loved the Nick Fury reveals
    Bad Times at the El Royale - Stumbled a bit with a drawn out final act. Made me think of those John Dahl neo-noir films of the '90s made for a third of the money and twice as good. But any movie with Jeff Bridges in it is worth your time - and Bill Pullman's kid is excellent in it.

6. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Watched Shawshank Redemption for the first time last night. Good, though I'm not quite sure why it's so highly regarded. I'm guessing because I'm judging against what has been made since (like Green Mile for instance) its impact may be lost to me.

7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

A great movie on the slow passage of time.

8. cyclingwriter2

Death of Stalin: enjoyed it, but really felt like I was watching a behind the scenes look at the trump administration.

heyabbott likes this.
  9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

We watched “Chopsticks,” a Hindu movie on Netflix. It’s sort of comedy/adventure light fare: nothing real deep. A young career woman with self-confidence issues has her new car stolen and has to rely on a good-guy criminal to try to get back. The English dubbing is pretty bad. We watched it in the original Hindi with English subtitles.

My wife called it “a little gem of a movie.” My son and I thought it was like eating something sweet with not too much substance.

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Because when it first came out you thought a certain character also killed himself.

Then you see those magnificent shoes.

And miss fuzzy britches shares her secret.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Greyhound

A good way to spend an evening.

qtlaw likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Freestyle Love Supreme - The Hulu doc is amazing - you go in thinking, oh this is what Lin Manuel Miranda was up to before Hamilton - sure, but it's really more about a group of friends whose lives changed= drastically over 15 years, and yet their friendships haven't changed a bit.
    Or it could be total BS for the cameras - but it seems genuine.

Draft saved Draft deleted