1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slick move, ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Good on Holly Rowe for calling out ESPN on that. I really like her. She was in town for a game a few years ago and I managed to get a request to her to visit the sportswriting class I was teaching that semester. She came and talked to my students and was just awesome.

3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Seems there’s been a lot of this kind of thing on social since games returned..... I’ve seen several videos of MLB teams kneeling “before the anthem.”

are they then standing during the song? Its unclear. Some are. Personally I think the pre-song show of support then standing when it starts is a good middle ground, supports the cause and cuts off the “disrespect the flag” people but its not clear if thats what some of these teams are aiming for

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The tweet was probably written by some overworked 24-year-old who’s also updating the website and doing 20 other things. I obviously agree with Holly in principle, but look at it from a 30,000-foot view too.

Double Down likes this.
  5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

All the dumb ass who was writing the tweet had to do was click on the video and hear no music in the background as the players were leaving.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Well, yes, but when you’re in the trenches like that...

My last boss was insane and he would demand the tweet get out nownownow. You had no safety net for stuff like this. You were just trying to get out as much content as possible before you got yelled at for missing something else.

I’m not trying to say ESPN.com editors are like that, but mine was. Even at 4 a.m. You basically feel like you’re tearing up A1 and redoing it for your entire shift.

I agree with all of these things on principle. Unfortunately understaffed newsrooms mean you’re walking a tightrope constantly. A slight gust out of nowhere, and you’re falling off.

Apologies for the defensiveness, but if you really think someone is sitting there on a Saturday afternoon and not overworked, while they’re constantly being reminded of how great they have it because they’re working at (name of major media outlet) and everyone wants their job, I don’t know what to tell you.

7. Tech Trojan

Tech Trojan New Member

Stop your whining. Newspapers suck and the ones where I had to babysit idiot millennial s like you are even worse.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Funny, I’m not a millennial. Thanks for the feedback, though.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Wow. That came out of nowhere.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it’s Fredrick’s alter ego.

11. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Where did you work?

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Did he forget the logins for all the others?

wicked, PaperClip529 and matt_garth like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted