1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Food Network

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Splendid Splinter, Jul 24, 2020.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Don't watch it too much. But Fieri has been on Dan Patrick several times and he always delivers in the interviews.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It’s just so cool when Guy eats something he genuinely really really likes. Triple D, for most of it, was true to its mission. One of a kind real good neighborhood places without pretentiousness. Some of the cooks were trained chefs, many were just good cooks and they all loved what they are doing. And Guy would eat everything, say something nice about everything, but sometimes he just really loved something. It made him happy, it made the cook/ owner thrilled. And it made me happy

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Not watching as much as I used to, but I break up hearing the play-by-play on the competition show, comparing it to sports PxP. "He's going for a large knife now ... oh, look at how he chops those onions." Fascinates me how they can whip up something out of such odd ingredients.

Fierri and Irvine are best in limited doses, because of the repitition. And on the latter, Tanya Niaek (sp.) is great eye candy.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I used to watch a lot of Food Network. Now I watch a lot of videos from the Bon Appetit test kitchen.

I've mentioned this before, but Guy Fieri did a DDD on a Mexican place near me. He declared it the best taco he'd ever eaten. I could easily steer him to at least 10 places within five miles that have far better tacos. The one he went to is decent on a good day. (It is, however, owned by three cute sisters who made for good TV.)

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

The channel typically isn't available out here, but I spent large chunks of my 20s curled up in bed watching the Food Network -- crippling anxiety and depression will do that to you. My mainstays were East Meets West, Good Eats, Molto Mario (pity Mario Batali turned out to be such a shitbird), Anthony Bourdain's shows (A Cook's Tour and No Reservations), and the original Iron Chef (Iron Chef Chen for life).

What tips and techniques I picked up mostly came from Bourdain and Alton Brown, the most prominent of which is the only unitasker in your kitchen should be a fire extinguisher. It wasn't until recently that I had the time, money, and kitchen space to actually attempt some of the things I saw. If I ever have an oven again, one of the first recipes I want to dust off is Ming Tsai's hoisin chicken pizza.

Oh, and if anyone wants to scratch that OG Iron Chef itch: Iron Chef Japan full episodes - YouTube

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Wait, do you live near Aunt Chilada's? If that's the place you're referencing, I went to high school with those three cute sisters -- they're still gorgeous -- and my mom lives a stone's throw from them. She also works at ACs now and then when she's bored. We celebrated my grandma's 100th birthday there. My HS reunion after parties are always there. When all the restaurants were shut down, I had secret access to their tamales and margaritas, to bring to my grandma.
    The food is ok. Tell me where I can find better tacos, please!

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I am still trying to figure out the appeal of the Pioneer Woman. In a recent show she made a Texas toast breakfast sandwich and fruit salad...who the fuck can't do that?

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

No, I like Aunt Chilada's! It's Los Taquitos, in the strip mall next to the Safeway at 40th and Elliot.

gingerbread likes this.
  9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Molly Baz is one of the sexiest women alive

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

My wife and daughter loathe her. She likes to pretend she is some everyday, ordinary wife who takes care of her farm family, when she arrived into a family that is one of (or the?) largest landowners in Oklahoma. He is worth something like $200 million, and she is like $50 million.

You know she doesn't do much of any of the shit she pretends to so on the show. Her QB son signed to play at North Texas, maybe?

11. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Ya; she is absolutely awful. And she does not even have a personality for TV.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

My daughter is 11 and got hooked on the show a couple of years ago because she shares a name with one of the Drummond daughters. My wife had started watching on and off many years ago after Ree came to town for a charity luncheon and absolutely wow-ed the crowd.

I was always neutral about it - since I knew about the Drummonds' wealth. Then the girls insisted we visit Pawhuska on a road trip to OKC (heck of a detour that was). The Pioneer Woman empire employs a whole damn lot of people in that 3,500-population town and given the thousands of visitors per day to the two restaurants the biggest income source for city sales tax. I thought that was really cool and a good way to give back to their hometown.

Draft saved Draft deleted