1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You scream, I scream...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Vombatus, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

We all scream for ice cream.

Here’s a pretty good list, and thankfully ALL on one fucking page so you can scroll down instead of clicking 51 times:

America’s Best Ice Cream Shops

maumann likes this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I'd put Fenton's in Oakland up against anybody in California. Plus, it made a cameo in "Up."

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Ohio’s is bullshit. That place is good and I can get there in seven minutes, but the best ice cream and candy shop around is 2 hours away in Findlay, naked Dietsch’s.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Arkansas' used to be without a question Farrell's in McCain Mall in north Little Rock. First time I think I ever saw business dudes in ties doing lunch. That was a cultural touchstone for a lot of people, kids and kids at heart.

Then later I discovered the bars in the same mall. </devilhorns>

LATE LATE ADD: I discovered upon further research that Farrell's was a nationwide chain at one point.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Used to go to Whitey's in Bettendorf (and the rest of the Quad-Cities) many times on those hot, humid nights along the Mississippi. Besides the great flavors for cones, Whitey's has the best "chipwich" with two chocolate chip cookies and either chocolate chip OR mint chocolate chip ice cream in the middle.

So at least they got Iowa right!

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'll vouch for Marianne's in Santa Cruz County as well.

maumann likes this.
  7. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

It is bullshit, because Graeter's is the best.

playthrough likes this.
  8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Dewars or Rosemary's in Bakersfield were two places I've considered 1 and 1A of shops I've been to in CA. Fenton's was good, but I'd still schlep down to Bako for a special outting of ice cream.

maumann likes this.
  9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I really like Carl’s in Fredericksburg, VA. They were mentioned in a PBS show about 23 years ago.

Their ancient equipment provides a rather unique creaminess.

But, they only have three flavors - the standard vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. I always got the strawberry - outstanding.

@Justin_Rice if I lived where you do, I’d probably be 400 pounds.

Justin_Rice likes this.
  10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'd crawl over glass to get Graeters.

FileNotFound, playthrough and SFIND like this.
  11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I was just thinking how much I miss the ice cream truck, that was Summer to me. I love Daquiri Ice and orange sherbet at Baskin Robbins.

Vombatus likes this.
  12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Grew up in the QC and have downed hundreds of gallons of Whitey's in my life. Went through withdrawals when I moved away.

When Hy-Vee opened in our area, I soon realized they carry Whitey's and rotate through the different flavors. Just as good as I remembered.

I Should Coco likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted