1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post a Song you are listening to now...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Apr 5, 2007.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Excellent article. Good writing and keen observations. I had never heard of these guys, but I lived in Houston so I know just how big time it is for an act to play the Houston Rodeo. I was there when George Straight did it subbing in for a cancelled Eddie Rabbit, and it was a legendary show just as he broke big.

"Cheatin' Songs" is a great country song. I like all of the songs featured in the video.

“She’s bringin’ back cheatin’ songs
    The kind of hurt that gets you singin’ along
    Somethin’ circa 1973
    She’s lyin’ with him and she’s lyin’ to me.”

As an aside I absolutely love the room this video is set in.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/maga...dom-by-reclaiming-vintage-styles/?arc404=true

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I've always been into just about all genres of music save country.

But Zappa was never part of my playlist. No reason why just never found my way to him or vice versa.

Yesterday on FB, someone posted his song Muffin Man which I don't think I'd ever heard. It started strangely in the way I knew Zappa to be but then it busted into his really fucking radical guitar solo which was enhanced by the drummer Terry Bozzio who I only knew from Missing Persons though I'd heard he played with Zappa. I cued it up to 20-25 seconds before the guitar/drums. It's the type of jam I could easily get way stoned to.

Doubt I'll go down any Zappa holes but I'm glad I stumbled upon this. It's amazing music.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  4. Songbird

Ouch lol

Speculation about who was the titular 'Mirror Man' was ended in 1988 when, during interviews to promote the band's Greatest Hits album, Oakey revealed that it was about Adam Ant. Oakey had become concerned that Ant was starting to believe his own publicity, and was in danger of losing touch with reality. Oakey had avoided revealing this at the time for fear of offending the song's subject.

5. DanOregon

Donnie Hathaway followed by a Mike Reid song. Reid the rare All-Pro NFL lineman who became a Grammy-winning songwriter. Lea Solonga is very underrated.

Damn I miss live music.

6. DanOregon

Uh oh down the rabbit hole I go.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. DanOregon

Check out Nathan Lane and JK Simmons as Benny Southstreet.

maumann likes this.
  8. DanOregon

Lin Manuel Miranda wrote a big chunk of this.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Acapella. No instruments no matter what you're hearing.

maumann likes this.
  10. Songbird

MTV never played the intro but it's pretty humorous.

Song is still intensely good.

11. August West

August West Member

Fat Man in the Bathtub

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted