1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Biggest LOOSER -- running weight loss thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 18, 2010.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Congrats, Killick! WLS is a big commitment with nutritional heavy lifting that never goes away.

Killick likes this.
  2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Thanks! Good news today, too. After not being particularly good over the holidays, I weighed in 14 pounds lighter than last month.

That’s a fucking morale boost!

Now more than 200 pounds off my heaviest, from September 2018.

3. Killick

... and according to a different doctor’s scale today, I’ve lost 16. I like that scale better!

4. Killick

... another 10 over the past two weeks. But, damn, I’ve a long way to go.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That's ok. You're doing the things that have you moving in the right direction. You'll gain a little once in a while, or plateau - but as long as the trend line continues to be down, you're doing great.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm down a pound since this thing hit - which I consider a minor victory. Probably working out harder when I do get out (pretty much every day, feels like your prison yard break) - but it's tough not having a gym and pretty much just bicycling and power walking through a course I've put together around town, with some steps on various bleachers and stairways, push up "stations", lunges, planks and stretching areas. My main goal is elevating my heart rate for more than 40 minutes, and I usually time it out to whatever podcast I'm listening to. Parking garages are great between the steps and the ramps. Keeping a semi-regular schedule helps.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Today I ate salmon, protein bars and fruit. Nothing else. I can not run to McDonalds for a shake. I can't, damn it.

8. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Stepped on the scale a couple weeks ago for the first time in months. Down 15 pounds from my average weight I've been at for years, down 25 from the highest weight I've seen for myself. Thought it was strange weeks earlier when family was asking me if I had lost weight. Told them no because I didn't think I had. Dropped another 5 pounds since then.

What am I doing? I really have no idea. I suppose I'm probably eating better and am a little more active lately, but I don't feel like I made drastic changes.

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

That's the best way to have it happen!

10. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

I just hope it's not a sign that my body's deteriorating ha....

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I haven't looked this good in 20 years.

It ain't magic. No beers, no burgers, no fries, nothing that comes in a bag or in packaging.

At one point during the pandemic I was whaling on a punching bag in my garage about 200 times a day.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

OK so after several fits and starts outlined up thread over the years, I have finally truly turned a corner.

Knowing that I exercise and I don’t really eat a tremendous amount I couldn’t figure out why I was so heavy - BMI excess of 40. But when I read males in my age group with a BMI over 40 are the most likely to die from Covid I knew I had to do something.

That something started with intermittent fasting. By not eating before noon and no later than 7 o’clock I really adjusted my metabolism but also my hunger. I’m about two months into intermittent fasting as I write this and I’m down to pretty much one meal a day, and I have to kind of force myself to eat that.

And when I do eat it’s strictly Keto. Combining keto with intermittent fasting has really revved up my metabolism and diminished hunger pains and eliminated cravings. I no longer have to turn the channel as soon as a pizza commercial comes on!

As a result I’m feeling healthier than I have in years maybe even ever. And it’s the little things too - like fewer skin tags, which is a sign of excess insulin in the blood stream. I really feel like I’ve got a grip on metabolic syndrome.

And I’m down 20 pounds since early August when I added keto to my intermittent fasting.

Moderator1, Mngwa and 3_Octave_Fart like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted