1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things that irk you......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Yeah, that happens with almost any internet activity. For me, the mainly useless info that Garmin helps me compile is worth the risk of having that info capitalized.

Especially now that almost all my steps are in a two-mile loop near my neighborhood, that info probably isn’t worth much.

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I thought about that last night on with my steps app. If someone hacks in, they would know when I start my walk and that I will be gone for between 35 and 60 minutes. Like Oggie, I follow similar routes and I'm never more than a mile or so from home. The risk doesn't bother me.

3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I don't even drive right now. But still...

Chef2 likes this.
  4. Oggiedoggie

Here are the results of my research about locking lug nuts.

My hypothesis is that you are more likely to lose the special “key” socket wrench than you are to have a wheel stolen.

The sample size for my research is admittedly small: two vehicles equipped with locking lug nuts and one vehicle as a “control” that does not have locking lug nuts.

So far, the key sockets to the locking lug nuts on both vehicles have been lost. No wheel has been stolen off the control vehicle.

Keeping in mind that I’m far better at field research than statistical analysis of the data, I’d say that it is at least 200 percent more likely that you will lose the key socket to the locking lug nuts than that you will have a wheel stolen.

Of course the small sample size might not reflect the influence of vehicle color (vehicles with locking lug nuts are shades of blue, while the control vehicle is white) or number of nuts on each wheel (the control vehicle has six while the others have four or five), but in the absence of outside funding, I plan to discontinue the research, confident that there is a good deal of evidence supporting my hypothesis.

Short story long, locking lug nuts irk me.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They also irk your local tire dealer, which has to chisel them off all the time.

maumann likes this.
  6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

To get the spare tire down from my truck, there is a plug that has to be removed and requires a special key. I'm pretty sure I ditched that thing the day I bought the truck.

7. Oggiedoggie

If you take a 12-point socket that is slightly too small to fit over the round body of the locking lug nut, then use a hammer to pound it on, you can usually zap them off with an impact wrench. It’s best to use 1/2-inch or larger drive sockets because you’ll need the larger hole to insert a rod to pound the lug nut out of the socket when you get it off the wheel.

8. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Alerts!!!! Right now are irking me. I always pay attention to the alerts in the upper right corner because if someone makes a post to me I would like to acknowledge them. All of a sudden I am getting alerts for any thread that I have even just looked at. Latest was the mlb off season thread. I am showing 90ish alerts every day. I have changed the alert preferences to none and back to the specific ones I have always had but that does not stop them all from coming. I am irked!!

Batman and justgladtobehere like this.
  9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Here is your next alert.

10. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Gee, I got all excited, it was a real response to a post of mine. Now you are on my "things that irk me"
    list.;)

dixiehack and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  11. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

You mean other then people?

swingline likes this.
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I liked and then quoted this just so you would get two more.

Draft saved Draft deleted